Need a pup for a bright axe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pup for a bright axe.

Ive asked this before but really need help. Got a Carvin x220. Maple set neck, maple body, ebony board and brass nut. Even the Tone Zone in it now sounds thin.. Should I use a CC? Blues trembucker? Does the 78 fill out a sound?? What about a Rio BBQ?
    Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Need a pup for a bright axe.

umm...Jazz, and APH-1 are both pretty warm pickups. If you want it a little warmer, try switching to 250k pots. And get rid of the brass nut.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in my V220 and it is not thin sounding to my ears, but you maythink otherwise. You could try the Dimarzio Super3, very high output withgood low end and very rolled back highs. I had the CC in an alder strat with a floyd and that did a good job of taming the brightness but maple may be a totally different deal. The only guitarsI have played the BBQ in were mahogany so I cannot help you there.

Comment

That's a though one. CC might do it tho. Try it, and if CC does not deliver, well Mr. you've got a problem.

Why did you get an all maple guitar in the first place? Ebony maaan! What were you thinking?

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Can't say it better, Dr.Barlo! Why did i know that you also recommed the CC? It's also my suggestion, which i wanted to write here
          Pickups... the final frontier.
          These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
          Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

I'm in the same boat- my Carvin is very bright, and I need to switch out the JB for something warmer. Someone told me that a 59 is the way to go, and it would be a good match with my Jazz neck. Is a CC warmer than a 59? If it is, would it be a good match for a Jazz?
            Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
            Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
            Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
            http://emayhem.com/the_fords
            (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

CC is much warmer than a '59. I've never thought of the '59 or Jazz as being warm pickups. I know that's a relative term, and what one person finds warm another will find bright. I consider the Alnico II Pro and CC to be warm pickups, and the Rio Grande BBQ and Blues Trembucker to be warm for Alnico 5 pickups, but not as warm as the A2P or CC. I agree that changing the brass nut would be a good start, I recommend the Earvana nut for better intonation and a warmer sound. I would suggest the Alnico II Pro over the CC, as it has a much better low end, and won't choke your sound with too much midrange.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I too have an all maple Carvin (DC127). I put a CC/APH combo that works really well in it.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
                  I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in my V220 and it is not thin sounding to my ears, but you maythink otherwise. You could try the Dimarzio Super3, very high output withgood low end and very rolled back highs. I had the CC in an alder strat with a floyd and that did a good job of taming the brightness but maple may be a totally different deal. The only guitarsI have played the BBQ in were mahogany so I cannot help you there.

Right on...excellent advice. People may hate some of the Dimarzios but some of their models work EXCELLENT in bright guitars.

Comment

I'll try a super distortion in it. It has an Air norton in the neck that is fantastic there. I bought it with a Steve's Special in the bridge.. Didnt work for me an so I put in a Tone Zone which will really thicken a thin sounding axe. But still sounds boingy in this axe.
                    By the way, I bought it cuz of the look and playability. I didnt pick the woods and brass nut.. ; )
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X