In new here and in need of some pup recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In new here and in need of some pup recomendations

Hey all. Im new here and these will be my first duncan pups so bear with me. I have a lp style guitar with the regular mahogany back/neck and maple top. I play a bit of classic rock but mainly play new rock. Im also looking for a good clean tone. And I need more than a one trick pony, I need it to be versatile. So what works well?
    Last edited by exhaust_49; 07-21-2004, 07:57 AM.

Re: In new here and in need of some pup recomendations

well...you're gonna to get alot of different responses on that...

i'll go with what has worked for me and describe what i'm hearing...

i have a brian moore i1...mahogany body/neckthru/maple cap/trembridge/locking tuners/rosewood board...

i have an alnico 2 pro neck = sweet, smooth tones that aren't harsh or overly warm (think slash)

i also have a jb bridge = versatility out the ying-yang, great output with plenty of crunch and bite and harmonics, but also cleans up amazingly well (think jerry cantrell)
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
      i also have a jb bridge = versatility out the ying-yang, great output with plenty of crunch and bite and harmonics, but also cleans up amazingly well (think jerry cantrell)
      Ditto.

Welcome to the board.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Oh yeah. I don't know if this will affect your recomendation but the guitar is a bolt on (don't laugh!) and I will be splitting the pickups.

Comment

the always good JB/'59 or JB/jazz combo .. more versatile than.. well.. pretty much anything. from country to death metal, it can do it all

if you want more low end punch i'd say a custom5 for bridge

but all that i really have experience with is the JB/'59 pups

Comment

I was listining to the sound files and was thinking maby a jb for the bridge and an alcino 2 pro for the neck. Do you have any experiences with these pups?

Comment

to add...my i1 does split the a2p neck and jb bridge and they both sound great split!
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

hey, i just popped dual alnico pro 2s into an epi lp special ii and split/paralleled the neck pup (no, really). i haven't given it a full test drive yet, but a cursory inspection through a 30w kinda practice amp says that it's just fine.

the split neck was real strat-y (which surprised me) and the cleans were just great. i wasn't too overwhelmed with the distortion, but that was the wrong amp for that sort of thing. the big thing i noticed overall was the clarity. every note stuck out, even with more complex chords. and it was crunchier, harmonics were much better, too. but i want to try it super loud and mess with the knobs before i pass a final verdict. but so far, it's pretty dam super.

love,
                eor

Comment

One more question Hoss. I will be using 1 500k cts vol pot and 1 500k cts push pull tone pot with one .022 Hovland cap. Should these values be alright?

Comment

Those values are correct. I agree, a JB or C5 in the bridge would work well, so would a Rio Grande BBQ if you weren't dead set on getting Duncan pickups. In the neck, the Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Jazz, or '59 would all work well in a Les Paul.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                    X