Help me choose a middle pickup for a custom guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a middle pickup for a custom guitar

I am building one of my flat top double cutaway models for a forum member and I wanted some feedback/opinions as I haven't tried one of these pickups before.

Here's the config

mahogany body (pretty thick)
    1/4 maple top (flat)
    set maple neck
    rosewood board

59 neck
    JB bridge
    middle ??????????

I want no hum
    I'm thinking vintage rails or classic stack
    i was told by SD to get bridge models for higher outpu

any thoughts on these models
    the VR i'm familar with,the classic stack i've never used

Thanks guys
    Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
    Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
    www.gaugeguitars.com
    Cheers!

Re: Help me choose a middle pickup for a custom guitar

i think i would go with the VR i think the sound would match better unless you want a single coil like sound in the middle position.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

we're after the singlecoil tone
      the guitar will be able to do humbuckers
      or humbuckers with middle singlecoil
      or split humbuckers with middle singlecoil
      or middle singlecoil alone
      so i'd like to retain that singlecoil sound
      you've foudn the VR doesn't sound like a singlecoil?

Thanks for your help
      www.gaugeguitars.com
      Cheers!

Comment

it didn't sound as much like a single coil as the stack pickups i have played, but if you are going to split the humbuckers somehow then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

the VR's don't sound particularly like singlecoils - the stacks sound better, but your conscern is output - the VR'sa re ceramic and thestacks are alnico 2s

am i picking up what you're putting down?
          www.gaugeguitars.com
          Cheers!

Comment

yeah, basically i am thinking output and sound with the overall balance of the tones. I don't know that one sounds better than the other, as they both sound very different to me. it all depends on how it is wired. if you want to retain that single coil sound then go with the stack but it may be a little overpowered by the bridge pickup.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

This one is easy kinman all the way, its silent, completly single coil tone, and perfect for mixing.
              Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
              The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

1) please describe your take on the sound differences
                2) ithink if i get a bridge version of either there will be more power
                then again, iwith rails, i usually rais ethe pickup higher than with poles, i could get them to balance i hope
                but the vR might balance better
                www.gaugeguitars.com
                Cheers!

Comment

if you want single coil tone with more output, i suggest a QP maybe, it can be very punchy and p-90 like but when tapped, its tone has a very single coil like character. They match up very well output wise with HBs and have a great tone.

Sorry i forgot to comment on the other pups, I have not tried the vintage rails, but i have played the classic stack. They are good pickups with a very nice single coil tone too them but im not sure theyd match up with the output of a humbucker. If you pu the bridge pickup in the middle, i think the output would bring it up close enough to minimalize the difference. However, I play wiht fairly high gain and the 60 cycle hum is minimal with a non stacked/ mini HB in a well shielded guitar. Seein Aarons work, im sure that the hum may be present but not noticeable enough to cause any disturbance.
                  Good luck,
                  Brian
                  Last edited by bvc310; 07-21-2004, 03:07 PM.
                  Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

I considered those, but i wanted to stay with hum-free

now what?
                    www.gaugeguitars.com
                    Cheers!

Comment

You could order a stacked QP from the custom shop. The price is a bit high but if hum freeness is essential I think the QP will be the best bet tonewise.
                      Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Hey Aaron, i was just looking through the pickup database when i saw the hot stack. I had completely forgotten about it. It has the increase output due to the ceramic mags your looking at with a true single coild sound. That is my best suggestion for the middle pup aside from a custom shop pup.
                        Good Luck,
                        Brian

Comment

its something to consider - i'm always very wary about any "hot" pickup as they're usually go astray from the original tone, but its something to consider definitely

thanks
                          www.gaugeguitars.com
                          Cheers!

Comment

The Lace Hot Gold sensors are pretty nice, and they are quiet. Here's a sound clip that was recorded by someone else. This is the 6k Hot Gold bridge model.

Ryan
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
                              its something to consider - i'm always very wary about any "hot" pickup as they're usually go astray from the original tone, but its something to consider definitely

thanks
                              Im sure they have clips in the sound files of the site. I was impressed by its sound as wel, but i tend to lean towards hotter pups for bridge and mid and mellower pups for neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X