banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge pickup needed -- Very limited options!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup needed -- Very limited options!

I've come to the conclusion that I need new bridge / middle pickups in my Stratocaster that will match up better with the JB in my neck. I love the sound that I get from it in the neck and at the moment it's even better for palm muted riffing than my bridge pickup. Obviously a Strat's bridge pickup is going to sound trebly, and at the moment I have a TB-5 Custom in there. While in other guitars this pickup would probably be spectacular, in the Strat, and compared to the JB, it just sounds thin and too tight/compressed for my liking.

So I need a bridge pickup that'll match the tremendous output of the JB in the neck. The Custom, I found, balanced very nicely with it when it comes to output. But it's just not thick enough and too trebly. I've looked at Duncans and DiMarzio's and here are what I've narrowed my list down to:

SH-8 Invader
    Dimarzio Breed
    Dimarzio Super Distortion
    Dimarzio Tone Zone (top choice)
    Dimarzio X2N

Can anyone help me on my quest for a huge sounding bridge pickup? I'm not digging ceramic magnets.... also, I want something that will also sound good split (getting push-push pots - anything else to help with versatility?).

Then there's the middle pickup option ... If I put one in there it's going to be a single-coil, but I'm not sure if I will. If I do, it might be a Quarter Pounder or possibly a single-coil sized humbucker. But it'd probably need to at least match up with those high output monsters I'll have in the bridge & neck.

I don't know what to do!

Re: Bridge pickup needed -- Very limited options!

Super Distortion. If you want good sounding palm mute riffs, mids are good. Super D has ALOT of mids. And if it doesnt have enough mids, go for the Super 3. It's basically the Super D with the mids on heroin. (so i've heard)
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

the invader and SD are both ceramic to my knowedge.

i dont have personal experience but i think a Rio Grande BBQ may work. there are some threads with it mentioned - people say it is a thicker sounding JB type sound.. do a search and see what you find
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Thanks, that works seeing as I have a Super Distortion laying around.

What's this about the Super 3 though? And how about the Tone Zone - no one's mentioned this yet......

Comment

of those the super distortion will probably balance the best. a jb in the neck is a trickey beast, way hot and thick for a neck pup. i used to use a duncan distortion with a jb neck in a jackson rhodes and i loved that combo

Comment

Invader
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

ive been using an invader in my strat for a few years now and ill tell ya, if you want a hot pickup with a full range of sound, go with the SH8, in the bridge position it complements a JB very nicely giving you many different options in playing style...invaders are great pickups

Comment

i can only tell you about the tone zone that i had installed in the bridge of my strat.......I didn't like it at all......very unnatural, artificial sounding
                Why don't you try a JB in bridge position?

Comment

get the invader m8!
                  "You can have my guitar when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Comment

Working...
                  X