pickup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup recommendations

Hey Everyone...I need your advise on some pickups..

I fool around with a lot of styles (most not very well) but always seem to find a home with thick distortion....heavy but articulate chording, and a lot of soloing...I want good palm mute chunk and attack...and good tone for soloing-good attack and not too shrill...I play through a Peavey xxl head and 2 x 12 carvin Steve Vai cab.

I have two guitars that I am interested in replaciong the bridge pups in...

1) '86 Jackson soloist....poplar body, maple neck through, ebony fingerboard, original Floyd. I had a JB in for years but wanted something different, got a c5 but dont like the attack, maybe not quite aggressive enough...was thinking about a Custom based on some threads I've read...any suggestions?

2) Ibanez (forgot which model #) made in Japan...twin humbuckers, fixed bridge, string through body, basswood, maple and rosewood...I have a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck position which I really like...I tried a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge but sounds too thin....again any suggestions?

I appreciate the help!...Thanks!
    '86 Jackson USA SL-1
    Ibanez RG hardtail
    Vox AD60VTX

Re: pickup recommendations

Duncan Distortion, dude. I personally am going to get an EMG 81 in the bridge of the Jackson DK2 I'm getting, but...most people agree active pickups are a big hassle, so I'd suggest the Distortion. It has a LOT of crunch and not too much bass. My friend has a Distortion in the bridge of his Ibanez RG350DX and I cant put it down everytime I plug in at his house...
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! How is it for soloing?
      '86 Jackson USA SL-1
      Ibanez RG hardtail
      Vox AD60VTX

Comment

what about something like an invader? I played one f the tom delong strats with an invader and it had a very punchy sound, very aggresive and kinda sharp. It has a sound all its own but i think it would be good for the kind of music you said you like to play.
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Kinda Thinking About A Custom, How Does It Compare Real Life To Invader Or Distortion?
          '86 Jackson USA SL-1
          Ibanez RG hardtail
          Vox AD60VTX

Comment

Working...
          X