59' Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59' Bridge

No questions this time.I bought a sd 59' bridge,based on your recomendations and I love it!!!!!!IT has great clear distortion.it does skynyrd, acdc and I guess most classic rock very well.so thanks for all your help
    sigpic
    08'Gibson Les Paul Traditional Iced Tea
    Vox Valvetronix ad30vt, Tech 21 Trademark 60

Re: 59' Bridge

Excellent news! The '59 bridge model is a great pickup for classic rock and doesn't get nearly enough publicity here! It's the SH-1, it's original and it rocks!

Comment

Hello Simon F and Skynyrdlover! Here's a question: Will the '59 bridge give me back the mids that I am missing with my C-5? While retaining that beautiful open sound that I might loose by using the JB? I already have my '59n set very low.
      "Play like a Champion"
      PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
      Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
      Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

i love my 59 bridge

i use it for everything from 80's shred to blues to jazz to classic rock. very versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu
          Hello Simon F and Skynyrdlover! Here's a question: Will the '59 bridge give me back the mids that I am missing with my C-5? While retaining that beautiful open sound that I might loose by using the JB? I already have my '59n set very low.
          Having tried both in the same guitar through the same amp, I can say that the C5 and '59 are EQ'd very similarly. If the C5 didn't have the mids you wanted, I doubt the '59 will either. The Blues Trembucker is perfect for what you want, but it looks funny and is trembucker spaced. If that doesn't bother you, give it a try. I really wish Duncan made a standard spaced, standard polepiece version of that pickup, as I really think it's the best bridge pickup in the entire Duncan lineup.

You might also like the Rio Grande BBQ. It has a nice bass and midrange, with less treble than the C5 and a little less output. It's my favorite non-Duncan pickup.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

sonnyblu
            I agree with rspst14 - the 59 is eqd very similar to the c5, so you wont really gain in the mids. The main difference you would notice is the large drop in output.
            The blues trembucker sounds like a good idea, but i have another suggestion - get your c5 slightly overwound. Basically, overwounding to say 15k or 15.5k will give you more in the mids and may be exactly what you are after. Obviously that will mean slightly more output, and slightly less top end.
            Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
            Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
            Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
            Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
            Fender American Series Telecaster
            Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
            Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
            Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
              Having tried both in the same guitar through the same amp, I can say that the C5 and '59 are EQ'd very similarly. If the C5 didn't have the mids you wanted, I doubt the '59 will either. The Blues Trembucker is perfect for what you want, but it looks funny and is trembucker spaced. If that doesn't bother you, give it a try. I really wish Duncan made a standard spaced, standard polepiece version of that pickup, as I really think it's the best bridge pickup in the entire Duncan lineup.

You might also like the Rio Grande BBQ. It has a nice bass and midrange, with less treble than the C5 and a little less output. It's my favorite non-Duncan pickup.

Ryan
              Can you tell if there is any difference in that clearness? Is it the 59 more subte that C5?

I have had the JB on the bridge of my guitar and i liked the distorted tone, but never liked the clear one. I ended thinking that it isn't posible to have a high output pickup that sounds good clear...
              Last edited by mongrollo; 07-22-2004, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Im considering the 59B pickup for (bridge spot) on my Strat with 2 humbuckers(have 59N)
                and was wondering if there to bassy sounding?If anyone knows.
                Noticed on the tone chart that it has alot of Bass.
                It was between the 59B,JB & CUSTOM pickups.
                Mainly For CLASSIC ROCK/HARD ROCK.
                Thanx

Comment

Thanks guy's...... yeah I noticed the '59 had a mid rating of 3, like the C-5. This is so strange. My guitar is mahogany and has a beautiful acoustic tone. The '59n sounds great in it. It should sing! I just don't understand why my mids are lacking so much with this C-5. My main axe is a Strat w/ single coils so I'm used to that sound. So when I strap on my Les Paul and it sounds thin in the mids it's really odd. Will the Trembucker's string spacing work on a Les Paul? Keep it comming! Thanks!
                  "Play like a Champion"

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                    Excellent news! The '59 bridge model is a great pickup for classic rock and doesn't get nearly enough publicity here! It's the SH-1, it's original and it rocks!
                    I kinda agree on the lack of publicity. I myself love my 8.70K 59b. But then again think I have better SD a5 PAF clones, like my 8.75 PG+, a5 modded ants (8.75K 8.65K). But still 59b delivers, and think it is very cheap for what it does. Its construction is maybe even better than some of the boutique pickups, it even has the maple spacer inside. How cool is that!

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I'm thinking the Blues Trembucker might be to much, like a CC, I want it to clean up when I back off, will it? How differant would the JB be from the Gibson 490 that I am trying to replace? I got my multimeter out! Man this sucks..... I think that the description on the C-5 is really missleading. It sounded perfect on paper! A regular G.W Bush
                      "Play like a Champion"

Comment

The Blues Trembucker is the absolute best bridge pickup in the Duncan lineup, at least in my opinion. It has the perfect amount of bass and treble, and more midrange than the '59 or C5. The lows are nice without being too bassy, the highs are crisp and clear without being harsh, and it has the mids that the C5 and '59 are lacking, but it won't choke your sound with nothing but mids the way the CC sometimes can. I think you'd be fine with the string spacing in a Les Paul, and in fact, it might line up better than a standard spaced Duncan. If you want to keep the stock look, you can send the pickup in for a rewind. For $75, the custom shop can rewind your current bridge pickup to Blues Trembucker specs. I think it's a much better pickup than the CC, as I've never liked pickups that had extreme EQ's in one direction or another. In the case of the CC, it is pure midrange. The highs are nice, but it just doesn't have any low end. You can't dial in at the amp what isn't coming from the guitar.

Ryan
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I also discovered the '59 as a great pickup! I found out that it has a lot of bite and a very nice distortion and a smooth attack - i only miss a bit of the power, cause i play metal. But if you turn on your amp louder and pick a bit harder you have a great classic-hardrock tone which might even be good for metal.
                          I tried the C-5 and wasn't satisfied. ´this doesn't have that PAF-vibe. I mean, SD must know why he build the Custom SH-5 originally with a ceramic mag and not A-5.

I wonder if the live wire classic sounds a bit like the '59, the specs are different.
                          Pickups... the final frontier.
                          These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                          Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Cool.....thanks guy's I pulled the C-5 and droped the 490T back in (set it low) and installed some 500K pots, that helped alot. The Gibson 300K's were still in there. The Trembucker sounds like a good idea Ryan, it's between it and the JB I guess. OMG I was lookin' at DiMarzio's today! Ha!
                            "Play like a Champion"

Comment

If you want some of the mids in the 59' without losing the low's or highs...just swap the magnet to an A3. I'll bet you love the difference, and it will be the best 10 minutes you've ever spent on a mod.

I'm going to do the same thing when my 59' TB gets here. I've got an A4, now I just need to order an A3. I'll be swapping all these mags between the 59' and my CC until I find the right combo for each guitar.
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X