did I get the right soldering iron and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did I get the right soldering iron and stuff

Ok I'm wanting to start practicing. I went by Radio Shack and they were closed for the day due to family reasons. So I went by Wal-Mart just to see if they had one and they did. I bought a Wall Lenk 25 watt with three different tips and says it develops 900 degree tip for $10. Is this about what I'd get a Radio Shack? I also bought some lead free rosin flux core solder. It says since it contains flux in it no additional flux in necessary. Is that true? I know I still need desoldering braid or solder sucker but that's all Wal-Mart had so I'll get that tomarrow at the Shack.

So can I get some good practice from soldering speaker wire together or to a peice of scrap metal? Would that be like soldering the pu wires together or to a pot?

Also I saw this thing on t.v. for a soldering iron called cold heat for $20. Would this be any good or should i just stick with what I have? I'm not opening it until I know this one is good enough.

Re: did I get the right soldering iron and stuff

what you got should be fine.

I use a Weller 25 watt iron for most of my stuff. I have a 40 watt iron when I need a little more heat. Solder should be "60/40". I use Kester brand, fairly small - .040" .

just remember to heat the connection, not the solder, until the heat applied to the connection melts the solder. and don't use too much solder - just enough for the joint.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

So when applying it do you actually not touch the solder wire to the iron? Say you want to solder two wires together, do you heat the two wires and the heat that is the two wires melts the solder, not the iron itself?

Comment

I seldom heat the solder

usually you have a lug or something holding the wire, but, yes, heat the lug or wires, then apply the solder till it flows on

keep your tip clean with a damp sponge and retin the tip frequently

also, tin your wires first by coating with a little solder ... I get some on the tip, then just rub it on the bare wire end

hope that helps
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Working...
        X