Pickup recommendation for baritone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendation for baritone

Hello, sorry if this question has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything that answered my question...

I am building a Strat-style baritone guitar out of Warmoth parts with a maple neck and a swamp ash body with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish, and a vintage-style six hole Wilkinson vibrato. For the neck and middle pickups, I plan to use Duncan SSL-1s, but need some advice for the bridge. I am very familiar with how different pickups sound on a standard tuned guitar, but am not sure how they will react on a guitar tuned down to B-B. The bridge pickup cavity is routed to fit a single coil, humbucker, or P-90. The sound I am after is straightforward rock & roll to be used clean or with a bit of overdrive, played through a Fender amp. I am NOT looking for a distorted, chugging heavy metal sound. Think musically along the lines of Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, Brian Setzer, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty - more of a classic, vintage sound. I'm just not sure how any of these pickups will react to a guitar tuned this low, for example if a humbucker will be too dull and muddy sounding, causing the baritone to clash with the bass guitar, or if a single coil will be too harsh, or if the P-90 will be too fat and dull sounding. Or maybe all lipstick tubes is the way to go!
    Any suggestions and specific pickup model recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Mike

Re: Pickup recommendation for baritone

I had good rock results with a C5 in the bridge (I hated it with normal tuning) and a jazz in the neck, clear, singing and crunchy.
    The main issue I have is with the gauge of the strings to avoid a rather 'plummy' sound on the bass B (it's not the pickups) - I've gone to 13 - 58 but it's still not rigid enough, (probably should go to 63) - if you use Sperzels, you may need to drill them out if you go up higher than that.

Comment

Re: Pickup recommendation for baritone

my first thought is a jazz in the bridge, itll balance well with single coils and should get great tone while staying clean and clear

Comment

Working...
      X