banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surfer Neck Middle JB bridge wiring Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfer Neck Middle JB bridge wiring Please help!

Hi, I have a surfers neck.... a RWRP surfers middle and a JB humbucker bridge in my HSS strat.

My question is regarding wiring.

I want hum cancellation between the 1 and 2 position the humbucker JB and the middle surfer.

I haven't installed the pickups yet so I want to know in advance what i'm getting myself into.

I want to know if the RWRP surfer should be in the neck and the standard surfer be in the middle position.... I guess I don't know which surfer to put in the middle positino so that it hum cancels with the JB... I don't know which side the magnets are attracting and all that technical stuff...

Please help, does anybody know the standard magnet setup for what i've just described, if so please tell me where to install the surfer pickups for middle and neck to achieve the hum cancel in middle and bridge.

Re: Surfer Neck Middle JB bridge wiring Please help!

Hi ajita, thanks for your question because I have just received the same three pickups from shop.

I have a SSH Strat as well and I know the setup is Surfer Neck, RW/RP in middle and JB in bridge position.

I was thinking in taking pickups in standard wiring (SSH) by fender. Then, I think it will be hum-cancelling.

Ajita, I would like to exchange impression when you wired your pickups.
    Playing, playing and playing. Always you can learn a new lick.

Fender Strotocaster Highway 1 H/S/S (Surfer, RW/RP Surfer, SH-4 JB)

Comment

One way to tell if the polarity will be right before installing them is to hold the pickups face to face. If they attract, it's fine, if they repel, it'll be out of phase.

If you go on the Fender site and look up the schematic for a US HSS strat, you can do it yourself. If you run into sound problems, you may have to do things like swapping the neck and middle, or at worse, flipping the magnet in the JB. What you ultimately want is the 2nd position to quack and be hum free.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm not up to snuff on the magnet issue myself, however I can tell you from experience that if you want the #2 Bridge + middle position to be hum canceling you will need to split the bucker.
        Check out this wiring diagram
        Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
        MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
        MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
        MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
        69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
        Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
        Martin D28

Comment

Hi again, I finally installed my surfers and JB on the pickguard.

I did surfer in Neck, RW/RP in middle and JB in bridge position, and the results were as following:

All sounds lovely, but position #4 (Rw/RP + JB) sounds too weakly and oddly. Can it be out of phase? What do you suggest? I think I could swap black and green wires on the JB pickup. What do you think about it?

Thanks
          Playing, playing and playing. Always you can learn a new lick.

Fender Strotocaster Highway 1 H/S/S (Surfer, RW/RP Surfer, SH-4 JB)

Comment

Yep, that'd fix 'er

Comment

Reviving this thread. Did anyone have a successful and happy solution? ajita_music @fazul?

I have the same question as the op. I want Surfers in neck and middle with the S-1 switch splittable humbucker in the bridge currently on the strat, maybe swapping that out later down the road.
              However, I heard back from a SD support rep that they strongly advise against this. They claimed, "The Antiquity Surfers can not be paired with a split humbucker and be in phase. When splitting our humbuckers, the north coil remains hot (clock-wise wind). Because they opposite wind direction as our standard pickups, you can not put them in phase with another single coil pickup."

So I was a little sad and about to give up on Surfers for my HSS strat when I came across this post.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X