coil splitting advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil splitting advice?

Allrighty, if anyone can offer anything about this i would greatly appreciate it. I have a Fender strat and about a year ago i bought an Invader SH-8 for her. I rewired it myself and replaced the old bridge single coil with the invader so now its a S-S-H. It sounds amazing but now i want more out of it. This is what i want to do please tell me if its possible without adding switches....

Coil split the humbucker using the 5 way switch so the configuration is
    (pos 1/bridge full humbucker)(pos 2/bridge humbucker split)(pos 3/middle)(pos 4/mid&neck)(pos 5/neck)

please help i cannot find any resources to do this and i dont wanna screw her up trying this weird configuration!! THANKS!

Re: coil splitting advice?

I think you can do this, but it would require a slight sacrifice on your tone controls. The Strat uses one half of the 5-way to select between the two tone controls. If you didn't mind losing one of them, that is, just have one "master" tone control, you could use that half of the 5-way to split the humbucker.

I don't think there's any other way to do it, but I'll look over the schematic and see.

Edit: Now that I've examined the schematic a bit closer, I think you can do this, but let me look it over some more at home. I'll post back later.
    (Maybe not - sentence deleted.)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ol_2tones.html
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-22-2004, 09:44 AM.

Comment

yeah thats what i was going to try and i was gonna check it with a meter to see if that actually will isolate a coil on that pickup, and as for sacrificing a tone knob, i dont mind though i did want to try to get one tone knob to work for each single coil while i had the guitar apart, but we'll see what happens

Comment

I'm interested in coil splitting too.... I was thinking of wiring one of my guitars, once I switch pickups, like this:

(it's a Strat with 2 humbuckers)

Pos 1 - Bridge full
        Pos 2 - Bridge Split
        Pos 3 - Both pickups together (like a LP middle... what's this called, parallel?)
        Pos 4 - Neck Split
        Pos 5- Neck full

Now, would this be possible... with 2 tone and 1 volume....
        Last edited by The Don; 07-22-2004, 10:12 AM. Reason: Miniscule Detail

Comment

Ok . . . it looks like you won't be able to do this with a standard 5-way. The initial diagram that I drew up, had a flaw in it that didn't show up til closer scrutiny. It was close - but no cigar.

Also, it wouldn't have been logical anyway. It required doing away with one tone control. If you're going to have to do that, might just as well replace the tone control with a switch, to begin with, and have the ability for splitting at any time.

Sorry if I got your hopes up. If you'ld like a diagram with the extra switch, I can do that, no problem. (I think one already exists on the SD schematics site.)

Comment

yeah i caught the same problem after looking in my guitar and drawing my setup, what i am going to do however since i disabled a tone when i put in the pickup is use the "dial a tone" setup in which my tone knob becomes a splitting knob, SD has a diagram for that and its a very simple operation, if you have any other suggestions that dont involve changing my guitars appearance let me know and thanks for the help

Comment

well, i did it, i spilt my coil without an additional switch, i just rewired my guitar to have one tone knob working, leaving the other dead, i grounded the dead knob and then attached the 4 conductor wiring to it and viola! my tone knob is a coil splitter and it sounds good when its combined with my mid, no hum anymore! If anyone wants schematics for this ill be more than happy to scan and send my wiring diagrams!

Comment

How about using a push/pull pot? Or a push/push pot?

I did this for splitting coils on LesStrat (HR/CR/HR). Each knob splits a pup.
                <----------------

This way you won't have to cut a hole for a new switch.
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Guys - here's the schematic for how my MIM was wired from the factory to do just what guitarfreak speced out: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ne_-w-spl.html

It's under the "Strat Noisecancelling Pickups", so it's hard to find if you don't know where to look.

The one drawback is the same as standard Strat wiring - no tone control on the bridge only position (#1). Personally, I wired the second tone pot for the bridge pickup so there was no tone control in position #3 with the middle pickup alone. I don't use the middle by itself much, plus you don't have both tone controls in the circuit in position #4 (neck & middle) so it's cleaner and brighter sounding.

Just my 2 cents...

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

well the way i did mine i didnt exactly follow anyones schematics, i sorta played around with wiring and when i drew out how my guitar was wired up, i figured out what everything did electronically. doing this let me have a master tone knob that did tone for whatever pickup selection you have, including splits. The other tone knob is my splitter i turn it to control how much split i have so essentially the only thing i had to buy to do this is solder and i didnt have to install a new push pull tone pot or a switch, the tone knob works just fine as it is a variable resistor (potentemeter) also doing this lets me combine my invader humbucker with a mid single coil, before the split it was weak and nasal now when i have the split coil and mid pickups at the same time its powerful when distorted and VERY bluesy when clean, i think i done good lol
                    Last edited by guitarfreak1386; 07-24-2004, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                      Guys - here's the schematic for how my MIM was wired from the factory to do just what guitarfreak speced out: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ne_-w-spl.html

It's under the "Strat Noisecancelling Pickups", so it's hard to find if you don't know where to look.

The one drawback is the same as standard Strat wiring - no tone control on the bridge only position (#1). Personally, I wired the second tone pot for the bridge pickup so there was no tone control in position #3 with the middle pickup alone. I don't use the middle by itself much, plus you don't have both tone controls in the circuit in position #4 (neck & middle) so it's cleaner and brighter sounding.

Just my 2 cents...

Chip
                      one thing about that is you lose the ability to mix the mid and neck, eliminating one of your switching choices if your using a regular strat 5 way switch

Comment

There's another option with a slighty modification of the tone control:
                        You can split the humbucker with the tone control, that on position 10 you have a split sound and on pos. 0-9 you have full sound and it still works as a tone control!
                        No extra switch or a very different wiring is needed!
                        Pickups... the final frontier.
                        These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

well im not looking for other options anymore since im satisfied with my results thank you

Comment

Just a question about how you might be able to do a coil tap on a Strat. I was reading some of the post and go to woundering. Can you turn one of the tone knob into a coil tap switch or replace it with one. I can understand wanting to use a tap on a guitar thats know for use of Single coils but I don't understand the reasoning behind doing it on a double humbucking guitar(Les Paul, Dean EVO). I have a Dean EVO and I can split both pickups and I really hate the taps and I'm gonna get rid of them. The only way they even help me is because they cut the volume on the neck pickup which is way hotter than the bridge pickup. If using taps is your thing thats cool but to meit's pointless. But I do kinda like the idea of beingable to split a Strat. And one more question could you use a seven way switch and use and have the tap as a positian on that?

Comment

Working...
                            X