Help Soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Soon!

I just got my pickups in the mail today (Seymour Duncan Performer Detonator Bridge pickup) I am trying to install it on my Ibanez RG 170R guitar, I looked here: http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2002&w=RG170

and the wiring oin the pickup is weird the red and white wire are twisted together and there are to black wires but one black wire is widere than the other one and hase a black covering that isnt as tigh, those two wires are free. Which wire do I solder where? I dont know, help soon, the pickup is in front of me and I am waiting for a resonse soon.

Re: Help Soon!

Why are the red and white wires twisted togethe and why are there 2 black wires?!?!?

Comment

A humbucker is usually wired in series! For this the red wire (the end of one coil) and the white wire (the beginninge of the other coil) are soldered together. The two other wires is where the first coil begins and the other coil ends, which means one wire goes to ground and the other wire goes to the hot connection.
      Is there no green wire?
      Pickups... the final frontier.
      These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
      Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Nope

Comment

So on that diagram, it tells me to solder the red and white wire to two diff. connections, the red and white wire were twisted together bot not soldered together, do they go to diff connections? Or the same one? and where does the black wire go?

Comment

this is confusing!!!

Comment

The thicker black wire is probably the green and bare together, which should should get grounded.

Comment

so the red and white go to the SAME conncetion?

Comment

so in the diagram, the red and white twisted together represents one wire (like a white) and the black represnets the red? and the thick one is ground?

Comment

If so, which thing do the red and wire solder onto? and which one does the thin black one belong to?

Comment

so, are there only 3 wires? Then nevermind what i wrote.
                      Now i understand: The black wire goes to ground (the volume pot.)
                      The white wire is hot. This goes to the switch. The red wire is the coil tap. You don't need to use it. This is meant for beeing used together with the single-coil: In position 2 & 4 you use the single coil and only ONE coil of the humbucker. This gives you a strat like sound, which is hum-cancelled. So you should not solder the wires togther. They come out of the humbucker for being connected at different connections.
                      Pickups... the final frontier.
                      These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                      Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

The link you posted to the diagram isnt working for me, but if you aren't splitting coils, I would guess that the red and white should be soldered together and insulated, the wider black wire should get grounded to the back of the volume pot and the thinner black wire should go to the switch.

Comment

Remember that the diagram you're looking at is for Ibanez pickups. Different pickup manufacturers use different color codes. On Duncan pickups, the red and white wires should be soldered together and then wrapped in electrical tape. The green and bare wires are grounded, and the black wire is your hot wire. I don't know what color codes Ibanez uses, but they may not be the same as Duncan. Don't wire anything up until you find out for sure by calling Ibanez to ask.

Ryan
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

omg this is confusing I dont no what a POT is or SIngle daul channel and stuff is, there is these:

Red and White wire TWISTED together
                            A THICK black wire
                            A THIN black wire

WHERE do I solder them onto according to the diagram? Just describe it like this: the vlac wire represents the red one in the diagram therefore solder it where the red one would go, or something like that.

Comment

Where Do I Solder The Red And White Wire To?!?!? So I Am Only Soldering One Wire (the Black To The Switch And That Is It?!?!?)

Comment

Working...
                              X