Who's tried an Alnico 3 Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's tried an Alnico 3 Custom?

The only bridge pickups I tend to like are the Duncan Custom Series, like the Custom 5, Custom, Custom Custom, JB. So far, I like the C-5 the best, but am still interested in trying more magnets. I've already used an Alnico 4 in a C-5 nickelcovered, and found that it added a bit of mids, but lost some warmth and bounciness. The C-4 turned out to be a very articulate pickup with great tone, but a little harder feeling under the fingers.

I've always though CC's had the highs too choked off for my taste, and the JB a bit middy. This leads me to believe that I may really like the Custom 3.
    Has anyone here become a big fan of a Custom with an Alnico 3 magnet?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Who's tried an Alnico 3 Custom?

I liked it better than the other Custom series pickups. The A3 magnet puts back some of the highs and lows that are lacking in the CC, while taming the midrange a bit and giving the pickup slightly more articulation and clarity. It's not a huge difference, but it is a positive one, and definitely noticeable.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

This machine kills fascists

Comment

Bass is a little tighter than the CC. A bit more glass on top too. I'll always love my Custom but I'd pick the C3 over the C5 myself.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Hmmmm....I've got a C5 TB on the way for my double fat strat, and I was planning on swapping the A2 I've got in my CC, then having a CC TB and a regular spaced C5 for my Hardtail.

Perhaps I'll order an A3 and experiment. I've already got an A4 sitting around.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

I've got 4 A4s sitting around. It is a pitty that I did not like them. I looked for them for such a long time, and actually it was me who begged Lew to ask Mr. Fralin for some. He did that and got our supply of a4's in this forum. A mighty cool move!

A4 sounded just like a5 on the high side, yet it did not have the bass of a5's, which was a pitty because without them bass me thinks it becomes too much high dominated. But that's exactly why a c4 I think is great for a dark guitar. But I did not try them in my antiquities yet. Will be doing them some time. I gotta setup my computer first for recording, since I want to record clips as I am doing that. My new soundcard (audiology platinuum) is still in its box.

B

Comment

Another thing: I believe GJ did the right thing to use covers on a C4. 8)

Comment

Yeah, on Pauls, I really dig nickelcovered the most, which also makes it hard to swap magnets. What I'm doing right now is trying to gather every Custom I can in nickel and tremspaced black. Soon, I'll have a Custom, CC, C-3, C-4, C-5, JB, all in front of me, so I can start a weekend of pup swapping.
                  All I need to complete that mini-collection is a C-3 nickelcovered.
                  I really want to find out precisely what I love in all my guitars, by having all my favorites on hand. I also have Seths and 59's.

Comment

Anyone have an Alnico 3 magnet sitting around, they want to sell me for a few bucks?
                    It'll be nice having all of my favorite Duncan humbuckers, so I can take a new guitar, and find out which one really shines in it, then gain a better understanding of which guitars like which pickups. Clips give you a good idea, but trying them with YOUR guitars and YOUR amps, tells you exactly what you like to hear.

Comment

It is brighter with less bottom, I love it in a neck position but unless it is a gibby type I don't like it in the bridge. Does a great job of taking out the muck in a dark guitar
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Brighter? If it's pretty close to a CC (Alnico II), then I'd think it's just a touch brighter than that, but not as bright as a Custom or C-5? I guess it's hard to know, till I hear it in the same day as the others. Still gotta get an Alnico 3 magnet.

Comment

Working...
                        X