single or hambucker for neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single or hambucker for neck?

Hi all! I've a serious question: hambucker has a great sound without noise but cats high frequencies. A single coil doesn't cut noise and gets a complete sound.

I'd like to know if with a single coil can be played a good metal rytmic.

Thanks in advance
    Bye
    Ast bilak parbilakar

Re: single or hambucker for neck?

If you want a very hot single-coil, you might try the live wire hot, which is an active pickup. It has a clean, but very loud sound!
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

None of my pickups buck ham, but some do cancell hum. I'm thinking they should be called humbuckers instead of hambakers and some of the other versions I've seen here lately.

The vast majority of players use humbuckers for metal. Single coil pickups generally don't have the output and girth of tone that most metal players go for. It's possible but generally not done.

The Livewire for Strat pickups are actually stacked humbuckers with a built in preamp and are only single coil sized. The output of the Hot Live Wires for Strat is right up there with humbucker type pickups and all that output does make them good candidates for hard rock and metal. When I was running the HS-LW set I got some killer metal type tones.

The SD Pickup Booster has a resonance switch and up to 25db worth of clean boost. Those two features combined will go a long way to making a true single coil pickup better suited to metal, at least in output and girth.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

What about a Jazz neck? It has almost the clarity of a single-coil, just warmer. Or a diMarzio humbucker from hell, which is even brighter and more single-coil like than the Jazz.
        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
          I'm thinking they should be called humbuckers instead of hambakers and some of the other versions I've seen here lately.
          What is the difference between humbuckers and hambakers?

Seymour Duncan produces active pickups?

Single coil you spoke before (Hot Live Wires) is produced by seymour duncan?

Thanks in advice!
          Ast bilak parbilakar

Comment

I'm thinking there's a hint of sarcasim in Robert's reply.

Unless of course, you've hit on a new pickup design that uses Sus scrofa and Duncan doesn't want anyone to know about?

Comment

Yes! The hot live wires are Duncans and i've never heard such loud and clear pickups!

Comment

Hambuckers are used in sandwhiches...also known as lettuce, tomato and mayo

Dude, they're not called hambuckers...rather they are called HUMbuckers (just in case this isnt in fact pure sarcasm and joke and you in fact think they are called "ham"buckers)

I was too busy laughing at that name that i forgot what the post was even about sorry
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
                X