DD and A-5 = JB SH-4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD and A-5 = JB SH-4?

I wonder if a Duncan Distortion is the same as the JB with a big ceramic magnet? (or if a Distortion with A-5 is the same as a JB)
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Re: DD and A-5 = JB SH-4?

I wonder if anyone tried this?
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

I've heard it's similar, but the DD still trumps the JB as far as output goes.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

So i don't need to buy a jeff Beck and can simply swap the magnet of the distortion! I have three! of them!

Comment

I thought that SD maybe just took a JB and put in a big ceramic mag and so the DD was invented!

Comment

I thinkt that the DD is wound a bit hotter than the JB, so, when going to an Alnico V vs. ceramic, you might lose some low end definition.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You mean, maybe because the JB has 16.4 and the DD has 16.6 Kohm? Hmm, the resonant peak is the same, almost the output, i will give it a try.
              Maybe i could make a '59/DD hybrid, which could be a '59/JB Hybrid, because the A-5.
              Maybe that would be the solution for my problem ;-)

Comment

There is more to a pickup than DC resistance and the resonant peak and a JB is not the same as an alnico v DD. That being said folks have gotten good results with an alnico v DD so go for it.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I still have a 7-string JB, so i could compare it. But i noticed, that this model has more DC resistance (19-20 K!) than usual. But, it's clear that with the same windings, more wire lenght is needed...
                  I just thought i could save my money and modify one DD instead buying a new JB. i have too much DD's... the second was a very good offer... 100 DM which is around 50€!! The third DD was in a guitar (the Gibson Explorer, which i named here sometimes) which i won. I need a more warm tone for the Gibson.

Comment

In that case I'd suggest a Custom.
                    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Yeah, it's that what i'm thinking about in the last days...
                      I tried a CC with an Ceramic mag and it was a little too dark...
                      I wonder if the tone is really identical with the Custom. The CC has a bit more windings...
                      Anyone here ever tried a 59/JB Hybrid?
                      Last edited by Inge Malmstein; 07-24-2004, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X