Cool Rails/Hot Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Rails/Hot Rails

I was wondering if someone who's used both could comment on how they compare with each other. Just basic sonic differences.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-26-2004, 04:18 PM. Reason: Deleted the part that was no longer relevant.

Re: Cool Rails/Hot Rails

The Hot Rails in the neck position gives out some of the best shred metal lead tones I've heard. The notes can come out very smooth while playing legato, but can also retain their definition when picking every note. It can get a little muddy in the rhythms if not eq'd just right. In the bridge, it seems percusive with some good snap and attack. Harmonics jump right out of it. It would be a good choice to thicken up a thin sounding strat or similar.

The Cool Rails is more of a vintage humbucker type pickup. It does very well with Blues-based rock and the type. It seems to be a good chording pickup in the neck with some of the smoothness in the leads as well. Harmonics are not as plentiful as with the Hot Rails. I have not tried the Cool Rails in the bridge, however.

I love both pickups as I have two of each. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just decide which you prefer, metal or blues/rock. Then your decision is easy.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks Travis. Thats answers what I wanted to know perfectly. I guess I'm more of a blues/rock kinda guy, so the Cool Rails sounds like the one.

Let me ask you another question. (Or anyone else, for that matter.)

How do you think a pair of CR's would work out in the neck and middle of a guitar like this?

Would it be a waste, to have two of them in there? Or would it be better to make one of them something else. I was thinking that maybe a pair of Cool Rails and a Dimebucker in the bridge could be . . . well, "cool".
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-22-2004, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I personally like to have different pickups in the neck and mid, but that is just preference. I do have a guitar with a pair of Vintage Rails in the neck and mid and I like it just fine. The Cool Rails works well as a neck or mid pickup, I've got one of each in different guitars. Plus, It would be able to handle being paired with a hotter humbucker. I've got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails set up and it works great for shred metal. Plus the Cool Rails offers a little mor eversatility when I need to be a little more mild.

For a guitar like that I might go with a Cool Rails in the neck and a Vintage Rails in the mid for some sparkly cleans. Then you could put whatever HB in the bridge you wanted and get a wide variety of sounds. I have no experience with the Dimebucker, but if you're more into the blues/rock category I might suggest something like the '59 or simliar. But in the end, it's whatever you want to make your axe unique.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks again Travis. Again, you're post is answering exactly what I was hoping to learn.

I like your idea of the CR/VR combo. Part of my goal with this guitar was try out some of the "rails" style pups. So, doing the Cool/Vintage route will be good.

To be honest, the main reason I was considering the Dimebucker was purely cosmetic. I wanted to maintain the continuity of the "rails" theme. I realize now, thats probably not a wise method to select a pup.

I don't really want to go with a 59 in the bridge, simply because I already have a 59n/59b guitar, and a 59n/Stag Mag guitar. (I have enough 59's.)

Also, those two guitars serve my "mellow" needs. I was thinking of making this one more a "rocker" - albeit, a bluesy rocker. Not over-the-top.

I'll keep doing some research into the bridge pup, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Again, thanks for the great info.

Comment

I just remembered - I have a Custom 5 sitting on a shelf. How do you think that would sound with the Cool Rail/Vintage Rail combo?

(Would save me buying another pup.)

Comment

I have no personal experience with the Custom 5, just a Custom. But according to the specs, I see no reason why it wouldn't match up nicely.

On a side note, if you want to keep with the rails theme, look into the Scott Ian Diablo from the Custom Shop. I hear it is very similar to the Screamin Demon only with the twin rails design. It would be a more expensive way to go, but something to think about.

Comment

Hmmm . . . never saw that one before. I probably wouldn't go that route, simply because the guitar itself only costs around $180. That pup would be going overboard just a bit.

I'm going to go ahead with the C5 for now, just because I have it. If I like it, fine. If I don't, then I'll check into plan "B".

Whatever I do, I'll post some clips when I get it all together.

Comment

My configuration is HR/CR/HR. I tried the HR in the mid position, but it was too similar to the bridge HR. In the neck I got more tonal variety.
                  <----------
                  I like both, but I really like the CR. It is a warmer sounding pup than the HR. Both are HOT, however. In the mid position on LesStrat, the CR provides plenty of harmonic overtones. I honestly don't remember what it did in the neck position; as I said before, I changed it in order to get more tonal variety out of the guitar (I wanted 3 DIFFERENT sounding pups).
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I've always loved that Strat in your avatar. I don't suppose you have any larger pics floating around anywhere, do you?

Comment

artie... I've been asking this question for a week, but, no one's answered it... thanks! This is great!
                      You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

You're welcome. But Travis and LesStrat deserve the thanks.

I've always wondered what the "rails" series of pups sounded like, and how many folks used them. (By "always" here, I mean since I discovered SD pups, last Nov.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                          I was thinking that maybe a pair of Cool Rails and a Dimebucker in the bridge could be . . . well, "cool".
                          if ur serious about the dimebucker..... check this out.

its like it but almost half the price.... and ive heard great things (look at harmony- central and see the reviews) sorry SD

Comment

I would normally never consider anything other than a Duncan, but that looks interesting, and the price is right. Unfortunately, Bill doesn't provide much info about his pups, (which I find odd). I suspect, that while the L-500 has the rail "styling", its probably nothing like a Dimebucker. But thats hard to say, especially since it comes in four different "flavors".

Comment

click on "BL wilde gate"..... its a forum with all kinds of info about his pickups. and ive seen enough ppl that use it and comment well on it that i can say he is trustworthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X