Cool Rails/Hot Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cool Rails/Hot Rails

Thanks. I've seen that forum before, and just forgotten about it. It looks like all the info about the L-500 is there.

BTW - I have no reservations about Bill Lawrences "trustworthyness."

It is a shame however, that he "appears" to take a few zings at SD on his webpage. But it's certainly nothing serious, and could simply be my biased mis-interpretation.

Comment

Artie, believe it or not, LesStrat used to be a Squier. Now, all that is original is the neck, body, and bridge. Oh, yeah, and the input jack (although I really ought to change that sucker). And I really should change the saddles on it. How hard would it be to improve the saddles with the original Squier bridge?

Anyway, your wish is my command:

LesStrat

Body

Headstock
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

LesStrat this might be of some interest to you for your replacement saddles.

Graph Tech PS-8000-00

I believe you'd want the PS-8000-00 for import strat saddles. They come in both the graphite-esque material, or the synthetic bone TUSQmaterial.

I have a set of the GraphTech String Savers on my late 90's Squier Standard and they are excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
          Artie . . .

Anyway, your wish is my command:
          Cool . . . send it to me.

Seriously though, I'ld forgotten that your Strat was all "rails". I take it that your happy with it. I still think I'm going to go with what Travis suggested, and do the CR/VR thang.

Just not sure how I'm going to attack the bridge.

BTW - Fusion1; great link. I'll have to add that to my website.

Comment

Yeah, it's all rails--hence the name. It no longer sounds like a Strat, whereas my Nitefly does a decent job doing so.

Teknon Theou
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Fusion,
              Thanks for the link. Which model would be appropriate for a Chinese Squier Strat? Maybe the PG 8000-00? Or the PS 8000-00? What's the difference?

Teknon Theou

Comment

I love this line from their "string test" page:

String endurance tests were performed on all six strings using Thunder Thumb picking machine at 450 up and down strokes per minute.
                Thunder thumb picking machine . . .

LesStrat: When you say your Strat doesn't sound like a "Strat" anymore, I assume that it also doesn't really sound like a typical dual-humbucker LP or similiar. Could you characterize what it does sound like?
                (Or is it truly unique?)

BTW - I went and played the Peavey Generation in the store today . . . I'm getting one on Friday.

(Ooops . . . I said that wrong, they had to order the one without the ACM bridge.)
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-27-2004, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hmm. It is pretty unique, but it definitely has LP tonal characteristics. The three pickups in current configuration have distinct tonal differences. The guitar is really dark and fat sounding, especially with the HR/CR/HR setup. It sounds NOTHING like a strat. One day I'll find the time to figure out Cakewalk enough to give some samples.

Teknon Theou

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Fusion,
                    Thanks for the link. Which model would be appropriate for a Chinese Squier Strat? Maybe the PG 8000-00? Or the PS 8000-00? What's the difference?

Good question. The PG 8000-00 is the newer ferra glide saddles. Seems like hype to me to have to pay +$50 for traditional steel saddles with a small graphtech insert which the string passes over.

The PS 8000-00 is the standard String Savers. That's what I would recommend. For about $30 you will get better sustain and clearer tone, and if you have a problem with string breakage then this will clear that up 1000 fold. Also provides a betrter environment for tuning stability especially if used with one of their graph tech nuts.

Comment

Thanks. How hard is it to change the nut (correctly, I mean)?

Teknon Theou

Comment

Working...
                      X