• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied
    Re: Cool Rails/Hot Rails

Thanks. How hard is it to change the nut (correctly, I mean)?

Leave a comment:

• Fusion1
    Mojo's Minions

• Fusion1
    replied

Originally posted by LesStrat
    Fusion,
    Thanks for the link. Which model would be appropriate for a Chinese Squier Strat? Maybe the PG 8000-00? Or the PS 8000-00? What's the difference?

Good question. The PG 8000-00 is the newer ferra glide saddles. Seems like hype to me to have to pay +$50 for traditional steel saddles with a small graphtech insert which the string passes over.

The PS 8000-00 is the standard String Savers. That's what I would recommend. For about $30 you will get better sustain and clearer tone, and if you have a problem with string breakage then this will clear that up 1000 fold. Also provides a betrter environment for tuning stability especially if used with one of their graph tech nuts.

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied

Hmm. It is pretty unique, but it definitely has LP tonal characteristics. The three pickups in current configuration have distinct tonal differences. The guitar is really dark and fat sounding, especially with the HR/CR/HR setup. It sounds NOTHING like a strat. One day I'll find the time to figure out Cakewalk enough to give some samples.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

I love this line from their "string test" page:

String endurance tests were performed on all six strings using Thunder Thumb picking machine at 450 up and down strokes per minute.
    Thunder thumb picking machine . . .

LesStrat: When you say your Strat doesn't sound like a "Strat" anymore, I assume that it also doesn't really sound like a typical dual-humbucker LP or similiar. Could you characterize what it does sound like?
    (Or is it truly unique?)

BTW - I went and played the Peavey Generation in the store today . . . I'm getting one on Friday.

(Ooops . . . I said that wrong, they had to order the one without the ACM bridge.)
    ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-27-2004, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied

Fusion,
    Thanks for the link. Which model would be appropriate for a Chinese Squier Strat? Maybe the PG 8000-00? Or the PS 8000-00? What's the difference?

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied

Yeah, it's all rails--hence the name. It no longer sounds like a Strat, whereas my Nitefly does a decent job doing so.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by LesStrat
    Artie . . .

Anyway, your wish is my command:
    Cool . . . send it to me.

Seriously though, I'ld forgotten that your Strat was all "rails". I take it that your happy with it. I still think I'm going to go with what Travis suggested, and do the CR/VR thang.

Just not sure how I'm going to attack the bridge.

BTW - Fusion1; great link. I'll have to add that to my website.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion1
    Mojo's Minions

• Fusion1
    replied

LesStrat this might be of some interest to you for your replacement saddles.

Graph Tech PS-8000-00

I believe you'd want the PS-8000-00 for import strat saddles. They come in both the graphite-esque material, or the synthetic bone TUSQmaterial.

I have a set of the GraphTech String Savers on my late 90's Squier Standard and they are excellent!

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied

Artie, believe it or not, LesStrat used to be a Squier. Now, all that is original is the neck, body, and bridge. Oh, yeah, and the input jack (although I really ought to change that sucker). And I really should change the saddles on it. How hard would it be to improve the saddles with the original Squier bridge?

Anyway, your wish is my command:

LesStrat

Body

Headstock

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

Thanks. I've seen that forum before, and just forgotten about it. It looks like all the info about the L-500 is there.

BTW - I have no reservations about Bill Lawrences "trustworthyness."

It is a shame however, that he "appears" to take a few zings at SD on his webpage. But it's certainly nothing serious, and could simply be my biased mis-interpretation.

Leave a comment:

• nepalnt21
    HamerTimeologist

• nepalnt21
    replied

www.billlawrence.com

click on "BL wilde gate"..... its a forum with all kinds of info about his pickups. and ive seen enough ppl that use it and comment well on it that i can say he is trustworthy.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

I would normally never consider anything other than a Duncan, but that looks interesting, and the price is right. Unfortunately, Bill doesn't provide much info about his pups, (which I find odd). I suspect, that while the L-500 has the rail "styling", its probably nothing like a Dimebucker. But thats hard to say, especially since it comes in four different "flavors".

Leave a comment:

• nepalnt21
    HamerTimeologist

• nepalnt21
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    I was thinking that maybe a pair of Cool Rails and a Dimebucker in the bridge could be . . . well, "cool".
    if ur serious about the dimebucker..... check this out.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm

its like it but almost half the price.... and ive heard great things (look at harmony- central and see the reviews) sorry SD

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

You're welcome. But Travis and LesStrat deserve the thanks.

I've always wondered what the "rails" series of pups sounded like, and how many folks used them. (By "always" here, I mean since I discovered SD pups, last Nov.)

Leave a comment:

• Indie P Bass
    Ultimate Tone Member

• Indie P Bass
    replied

artie... I've been asking this question for a week, but, no one's answered it... thanks! This is great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X