Aps-2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aps-2 questions

I think this wil be the set for my strat with a twangbanger in the bridge. Whats the difference betwen the aps-1 and aps-2. If I get a set should the middle be RW/RP. Whats the difference bettween stagred and flat pole peices?

Out of these what will i need for the neck and middle pickups?

sorry if the questions seem random and mixed up. I too tired to type. the main queston i want answered is the one with the link.
    thanks

Re: Aps-2 questions

The difference is the pole stagger. Alot of people like the staggared pole pieces, because they get you closer to that vintage sound, but some prefer flat since you get a better string response. If you get the middle pickup RWRP you'll have hum cancleation in positions 2 and 4, which is usually a good thing. what you need from John at Blackrose (which is a member here BTW) is the APS-1 for neck, then the APS-1RWRP for the middle.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I use the APS-2 on modern neck radii of 9.5" and higher. I use the APS-1 vintage radii (7.25")
      -Butch Snyder
      butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

I'm lefty and it makes life easier on me to just use the flat poled single coils...I Love the cool look of the staggered poles though and so I find myself mounting my pickups onto my pickguard to get the stagger correct like you righthanded guys...It involves removing a small amount of wood from the front section of the neck and middle pockets,but it's well worth it..Actually,I use both flat and staggered pole singles...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

One more question, do you guys like the twangbanger or ssl-6 in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Illini1330
            One more question, do you guys like the twangbanger or ssl-6 in the bridge?
            I've used the SSL6 quite a bit but not the Twangbanger...

The SSL6 has alot of mids,rolled off highs,still chimey but not like a vintage strat pickup...Has good output and a nice singing lead tone..Called the SRV tone for guys that use .009s....I don't currently use the SSL6 as I've gone back to more vintage sounding strat pickups like the Texas Hots,Surfers,APS,and SSL series...

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

for a set of aps2s what one from the link would be the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Illini1330
                for a set of aps2s what one from the link would be the bridge?
                If you are looking to go with a full set of APS2's, just follow this link and ask for a calabrated set. John will hook you up right.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                  I use the APS-2 on modern neck radii of 9.5" and higher. I use the APS-1 vintage radii (7.25")
                  That's exactly what I do.
                  "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

FWIW I tried a set of APS-2's in my MIM Strat and the bridge pickup just didn't have enough of anything for me. No beef, no power... Based on what Jeremy and others have said, the Twangbanger sounds like a good match for APS singles in the neck & middle. I love the APS single in the neck position of a Strat.

Haven't tried the SSL-6, but I ended up with a tapped Quarter Pound and glued an after-market steel plate to the bottom to get a beefier version of the Twangbanger.

Chip
                    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
                    X