Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Strings and Bad Sound

Hello Again,

As I mentioned in my last post I have a strat copy. (J. Turser). I have a question about changing strings. I normally only change 5 strings at first. In others words I remove and replace the E, D, G, B, E stings and leave the A string on and in tune. After the other strings are replaced, I change the A string. I was told to do this so I would not have to redo the tremalo on every string change. I then stretch the strings and tune to concert pitch.

My problem is when I play, the chords sound sour, not in correct pitch with the keyboard player.

Can anybody help with this problem?

Thanks.

Tim

Re: Changing Strings and Bad Sound

Originally posted by Tim

My problem is when I play, the chords sound sour, not in correct pitch with the keyboard player.
    Sounds like your guitar needs to be intonated. This is usually a bridge saddle issue. They need to be adjusted.
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to add that the intonation is good.

By the way, I use to live in Dayton from 1987 to 1992. I did not play guitar back then. I am just learning the beast.

Could the tremolo be out?

Tim

Comment

usually you'll need to retune strings a couple times after a string change - until they stabilize
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Stretch em,tune em,stretch em again,tune em...That's what I do...Later into the day if I'm not playing that axe with the new strings,I'll stretch and tune again until the guitar stays in tune...

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yep, stretching and retuning until you stretch and they aren't out of tune. I thought they were already stretched. That's why I brought up the intonation thing.
            -Butch Snyder
            butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

YEH stretchin does it for me!!
              "You can have my guitar when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Comment

Working...
              X