banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seth neck in LP through Mesa Rectoverb... which bridge pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth neck in LP through Mesa Rectoverb... which bridge pup?

I'm set on getting the Seth neck for my LP Std. I'm just trying to decide on a low-output bridge pickup that would go well with the Seth.

I've had the JB, and though I liked it's thickness, it's upper mids were just a bit too much for me. Then the Custom, and though I liked it's EQ curve (PAF-ish) much better, it lacked some of that thickness I liked with the JB.

Since I have the Rectoverb, I really don't need a high output pickup. It has plenty of gain. I like the way the lower output '59 and Jazz neck on my other guitars push the amp less and let everything "breath" more.

So, I guess I'm looking for a lower output pickup that is thick, smooth, with a PAF EQ (relaxed mids). I'm not saying JB thick, but... you get the idea.

I'm guessing with less push, I can increase the gain to compensate and get the thickness I want. This guitar is primarily used for bluesy rock through hard rock.

So, what is the prescription? '59? matching Seth? APH II? PG?

Thanks for the advice and help.

Nathan
    Formerly "Raven LP"

Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
    Splawn 212 Vertical Cab with Eminence Governors
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    '95 Gibson LP Standard (Custom Shop S-Deco-5 11.5k / Jazz)
    PRS Swamp Ash Special (?? / ?? / ??)
    '04 Fender American Fat Strat (stock, for now...)

Re: Seth neck in LP through Mesa Rectoverb... which bridge pup?

A SH-55 set would be sweet iin a LP. The bridge might not be as thick as a JB though it will get you that "breathy" sound you want.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

That is probably my number one choice right now, unless someone comes along and says it just won't do what I want.

The way I read it, the Seth has the lowest resonant peak of the 4, which I read as being the thickest. The A2 should give it the smoothness.

Any other ideas / comments?

Nathan
      Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

A Seth set will be very cool in that guitar but there are some things to think about. The thickness that you like is a result of a hotter wind. You won't find that in a 7-8k pickup. PAF type pickups are known for their open and airy tone. If you want thick but without the mid peak the Seth may be dissapointing in the bridge.

Mesa amps do have quite a bit of gain and you don't need a hot pickup to get distortion from most Mesa amps. The thing is though that the harder you hit the front end of Mesa amps the more they tighten up. While too much compression isn't desireable, I find that gained tones (not pushed but smokin) are often more desireable with a bit of compression. It helps keep the "edges" of your tone from getting too ragged sounding. A little focus goes a long way.

I have a Mesa amp and three LPs along with 30+ SD pickups here at the house. One LP has an Antiquity set, one has a JP set (think slightly hotter 59s) and the 3rd has a C-5/PGn combo. The PAF type pickup loaded guitar sound phenominal on the lower gained settings (clean/pushed and driven Mark I voices) but lack a little oomph sometimes to really drive the Recto and Mark III and IV voices to fullness.

So the question is which is more important, having stellar clean and pushed tones or having wickedness on tap when nessessary and a slightly more modern clean tone.

If you want strictly vintage tones go with the Seths.

If you want some thickness and no mid peak and a bit of juice in the bridge get the C-5 for the bridge. In a LP through Mesa gear the C-5 covers a heck of alot of ground.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

A friend has an Alnico II pro set in his LP (likes Slash) and gets a pretty good tone from his F50 (different from what youve got I know, but the closest amp comparison I can make). Really sweep and lots of mids/highs. Also gives him plenty of room to push being low output.

Have you thought about a Custom 5? I know its of a higher output, but lowering it might give you that sound you want, plus just a little more sizzle if you wanted it.
          'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'm definitely going to consider the C5. For some reason I completely overlooked it

Now that I remember... someone on here said in their opinion, the C5 sounded (or had a very similar EQ) to the Seth, just hotter. If so, then that would be an awesome set.

Thanks Robert and Seraphial!

Other opinion are welcome...

Nathan
            Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

What about the Pearly Gates bridge? That would give a little more push than the Seth (correct?) and still keep that vintage vibe. On the sound clip page it sounds rather thick. Any opinions? Anyone using a PG bridge that can give me some input here?

Thanks,

Nathan
              Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

i think the C5 is what you want bro...... it has the 59 sound but with more thickness........and its medium -high output...... but the one i played seemed to still have some of the airy quality of PAFs

i say a C5/Seth combo would kick SO MUCH A S S
                http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                >cord<
                1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Absolutely get a C-5 nickel (factory potted) and a nickel Seth Lover neck (unpotted, but OK) My favorite Les Paul has that combo, and I love it. The C-5 is somewhat of a high output pickup, but sounds like a more vintage vibe. Think 59 HOT and FAT.
                  Like Robert said, it'll tighten up the tone of a Mesa. You'll like it. It's one step closer to vintage from a JB. No midspike.

The Seth Lover should be renamed the Sustain Lover. It's a bit darker than a 59 to my ears, but really sings and has a great voice. I'm always amazed by it's sustain.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah, I should try the C5. If it doesn't work I'm sure there is someone here who would love to have it. The EQ curves I see all over the internet scare me away. 8-4-8 seems to be the common numbers. That seems to be ALOT of bass. But, the LP should fill in the mids somewhat.

Anyway, thanks guys. I do believe I'll try the C5. Other opinion are welcome, 'cause there is always something new to learn.

Nathan
                    Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

i thought the C5 was pretty much balanced in all frequencies with not too much of anything or any peaks........ this was in a les paul i should mention
                      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                      >cord<
                      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I'm going with the C5/Seth combo also for what you want. If you wanted to keep the vintage vibe the Seth bridge would be the ticket. Robert is the man when it comes to the tone of Mesa's, and with GJ on board with the C5 also I don't see how you can go wrong.

Also remember, if you get it and just don't like it, SD offers a 21 day exchange policy. Otherwise, I know someone here would buy it from you for a fair price.
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks everyone. Nothing beats experienced advice with pickups.

Nathan
                          Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

Well I guess I would be the only one here who would put PG over C5. PG's rule, they are open, they are bright if needed, but still have the a2 growl. My first choice is actually a hot (8.70-75K) antiquity bridge with an a5 magnet, yet PG comes very close in terms of being ideal.

And it's wax potted, so if you wanna turn up the gain on your amp you would not get any sequaling. I am not saying seths sequeal or anything, in fact my ant a5 bridge does not. Yet it could have you know.

To sum up my opinion is that the PG is the best wax potted PAF clone ever built!

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks Dr. Barlo,

I may end up buying both a C5 and PG and keeping the one I like most. I'm hoping the PG will have enough push to tighten up the front end (as Robert said) but have better cleans than the Custom and JB. Custom isn't bad really, just a tick sterile IMO.

As far as the Recto goes, I'm going to go play the new Stiletto soon. Looks interesting. Not that the Recto isn't good, it's awesome, but it may fit my style a bit better.

Thanks again everyone,

Nathan
                              Formerly "Raven LP"

Comment

Working...
                              X