Can you suggest a........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you suggest a........

.................................................. .................good heavy metal pickup for the bridge of a Epi LP Standard Plus or Classic Plus because I have decided im definitely getting a Alnico II Pro Humbucker for the neck.
    Thanks
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Dean Baby Z, Fender Squier Affinty Strat.

Marshall AVT 100, Fender Frontman 15G

Boss HM-3, DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby Original

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Re: Can you suggest a........

What do you mean by heavey metal. If you want high output, tons of gain and the likes i suggest a custom, or maybe even a JB. JBs are very versitle and would do you well in the bridge of a nice LP. They tend to be a little think in some guitars, but in LP with the right eq they will scream. A custom has a little less uppermids spike and more of a bottom end for a PAF on steroids kind of sound. Ome other choices would be a 59 for some more of a classic rock/ ac/dc metal sound. Another may be an Invader, however, I find invaders to become a bit muddy in LPs with their huge low end. If you post some of your influences and more specific type of sound you want, im sure a lot of the metal guys around here can help you. Also, what amp are you using? Any pedals? These can make a huge difference in the tone you get.
    Good Luck,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

I'd go with a Custom in the bridge of the LP....that will smoke. It will get as heavy as you want, and still clean up decently when you roll off the volume/switch to the clean channel.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

The Custom does a lot of styles well in a LP. If you want nothing but balls to the wall grind and chunk from the bridge position of you Lester but still want good note definition and detail, the DD is what you need.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          The Custom does a lot of styles well in a LP. If you want nothing but balls to the wall grind and chunk from the bridge position of you Lester but still want good note definition and detail, the DD is what you need.
          Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Selpultera, Cradle of Filth, Arch Enemy and I have a Boss Hyper Metal.

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Yup - sounds like either the DD or the Custom. I think both will do what you want.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

whats the dimebucker like??

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

I like the Dime alot for modern metal tones.

The Dime has a "squishy", somewhat vowelish attach that lends itself well to palm muting. It's a fairly high output pickup without the mid peak that you often find in pickups wound that hot. Great bottom end and nice present highs that aren't in the least bit harsh or overly bright. It has a very useable clean tone as well.

I have the Dime in a guitar that I use for drop D brutal work and it's perfect. It's a great pickup where output and clarity matter.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Reading the "influences" list I gotta agree with the dimebucker - although I believe Maiden use DiMarzio SD's, so the Duncan Distortion would more catch that vibe.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

DD or Custom or Dimebucker???

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Also, can a Duncan Distortion in the bridge do other things besides METAL???

Comment

bump!

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

bumpalino!!!

Comment

Dime

Comment

All my knowledge of high output pickups are kinda outdated, as I stopped using them like 4-5 years ago. Still the ones I remember doing great metal tones were (some DiMarzio's included) SD Custom, SD JB, SD Distortion, DM super distortion, DM X2N, DM MegaDrive, Gibson 500T. Frankly I liked the 500T and JB the most among the high output ones I used.

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X