banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Hi, hows' it going?

The bridge position in my Gibson Les Paul Custom is very lively yet at the same time seems too bright.

I play through an EL84 style amp and love its overdrive tones.

I am looking for a bridge pickup that can give me jangly\semi-dirty rhythm tones and smooth, somewhat thick overdrive with a bit more volume and mostly picking\strumming technique.

Thanks!!

Re: Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Seth's or PG's will get the job done in a Paul.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Any other suggestions? I am thinking the Pearly Gates bridge would be too bright in an already bright guitar...

Comment

Check out the Alnico II Pro. Slash has used them in his Les Paul's for years.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I thought about the Alnico2pro but is it really compressed sounding?
          I kinda want a thickness with smooth clarity thats not harsh or bright.
          I play indie rock\rock n' roll\atmospheric,spacey,jangly stuff\jazz...

Comment

Just by looking at the tone chart how could anyone suggest an Alnico Pro II or PG for a *bright* guitar??

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking Custom Custom would tame the highs a bit better.

Comment

My vote would be either the Custom Custom or APH-1. Neither are too compressed sounding, and are very warm for bridge pickups. I have to say that head to head, the CC is actually the warmer of the 2 pups. I have the CC in the bridge of a double fat strat, and it really warmed that up. It would do even better in your LP.

There are several members here who have recently put the CC/APH combo in LP's and are loving the tones.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

I have heard good things about the custom custom.
                But I have also heard that it sounds like "cheezy, 80's, hair-metal"
                So, I am kinda confused. I am also kinda interested in the Gibson 57 classic Plus. Anyone have any experience with that pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by IndieRock
                  I have heard good things about the custom custom.
                  But I have also heard that it sounds like "cheezy, 80's, hair-metal"
                  So, I am kinda confused. I am also kinda interested in the Gibson 57 classic Plus. Anyone have any experience with that pickup?

How the hell can a pickup sound "cheezy, like 80's hair metal"?? That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Especially considering that many people were using JB's and Distortions and stuff which are COMPLETELY different.

My best advice is not to listen to that person

Comment

The warmest and most "jangly" LP I own has an Antiquity set in it.
                    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Yeah, I don't know about the cheezy 80's hair-metal thing, just something I've read...but maybe they meant thats the type of sound it is good for?
                      I don't know, I would think it all depends on what music you play.

The antiquity seems cool but I don't like that relic'd pickup cover.
                      I am actually looking for something with a gold cover.
                      Is the antiquity really bright? I like your description but am concerned it might be too harsh. Is a seth lover very similair to an antiquity but with a gold cover?

Comment

The Antiquity is a clone of a 45 year old PAF. The Seth is what you would get if you went back in time, ripped the PAF's out of a late 50's Gibby, and put them on your guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
                          Just by looking at the tone chart how could anyone suggest an Alnico Pro II or PG for a *bright* guitar??

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking Custom Custom would tame the highs a bit better.
                          1. Ranalli: How do you know that people are suggesting pickups just by checking the tone chart? Couldn't they own what they recommend?

2. IndieRock: Bright LP's have been my problem too. Recently I typed out a long list of things to do before getting a new set of pickups. In your case depending on the amount of clarity you want there are 2 options: (1) CC and don't mind them 80's metal critism. Not true. (2) If you need more clarity, and wanna do your LP custom justice get a set of antiquities. You can get them either from the custom shop with new covers or contact John at BlackRose. He could help you with what you are looking for as he as a big inventory of Ants and (gold-plated) covered SD pickups.

Now the earlier message I typed sometime ago:

B

------------------------------------------------------

I'd recommend to do the following in that order: (BTW are you using 500K pots or 300K's)

1. Increase the pickup quite close to the strings.

2. Bury the screws into the pickup as much as necessary.

3. Wrap your strings on the tail piece.

4. Use thicker strings.

5. a. If you wanna keep that 59b: Get an a2 magnet an replace the a5 in your 59b with it.

b. If you wanna try something new: Get a Seth, or PG, or A2p for the bridge. they will be in the same ballpark with a2 59b.

c. Get a CC if you still don't like an a2 59, and think its thin.

7. If your pots are 500K replace them with 300Ks.

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Try all that the Doc prescribed.

If that doesn't work, you can do one more thing, take my standard and give me your Custom!

Comment

If you're really adventurous, add a treble bleed cap (.001 µf). Don't use it on a potentiometer, like you would with a volume control, but instead use it to bleed some of the treble from the signal to ground. I have a push-pull volume pot that can take the cap in and out of the chain. It's like an on/off tone control that only affects the super-highs. I usually prefer it in the chain.

Also, the CC is a nice bridge pickup for Les Paul type guitars. Bright LP's still have pretty good bass, so the accentuated mids and tamed highs and lows of the CC seem to complement the natural sound of an LP.

[edit: should have proof-read first]
                              Last edited by MattPete; 07-26-2004, 03:56 PM.
                              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
                              X