banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

I think the CC might be too compressed and not clean up well enough...
    I like varying shades of sound through pick attack\strumming.
    I've heard a ton of soundclips of the CC and in my opinion they sound somewhat processed, its hard to explain but...I like the dynamics of a paf but this guitar doesn't really like pafs in the bridge. What are some other suggestions, I am open to all brands...

Thanks bros'

Comment

Just to add to the above, any alnico5 pickups that keep the responsiveness I like but aren't too bright?

Comment

I use C5 and roll down the tone little bit
        "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Has anyone played\used\own the gibson 57 classic plus and the Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickups could you please compare and contrast them for me?

I want a responsive pickup that is cleaner with lighter strumming\picking and overdriven\crunchy with stronger attack.

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by IndieRock
            Hi, hows' it going?

The bridge position in my Gibson Les Paul Custom is very lively yet at the same time seems too bright.

I play through an EL84 style amp and love its overdrive tones.

I am looking for a bridge pickup that can give me jangly\semi-dirty rhythm tones and smooth, somewhat thick overdrive with a bit more volume and mostly picking\strumming technique.

Thanks!!
            My first thought when I read your original post was that I was wondering how a Gibson Les Paul could be so "bright?" Could you possibly have your pickups adjusted too high?
            I just installed a JB/Jazz set in my '95 Les Paul, and for strumming and rhythm they sound great together or alone. But those pickups will also give me every bit of high-end frequencies I desire for lead work. There are 3 different sets of pickups I like in a Les Paul, and I've used them and a few other combos so far:
            1) The JB/Jazz
            2) Custom/PG or '59n (nice warmth in the Custom bridge pup, but still enough treble to cut through the mix for leads. The PG is just a little brighter than a '59, but still has nice warmth and mixes well with the Custom, IMO. I may go either back to a '59 in the neck or try something totally off the wall like a Duncan Distortion)
            3) PG/PG ( Texas sizzle....you want ZZ Top? You got ZZ Top)

But at the top of my list for pickups I wanna try, it would have to be the Antiquity. I use the single coil versions in a Strat, and knowing what those sound like can only mean that the humbucker version would sound no less as excellent. Nothing but vintage sound, all the way.

...Bob
            Last edited by midnite_man; 08-04-2004, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X