Hot rails or Cool rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot rails or Cool rails?

I can't decide whether to get Hot rails or Cool rails for the middle and neck position of my strat with a JB in the bridge. I really like rock and blues but I also like the Iron Maiden sound. Which pickup is better suited for the middle and neck position?

Rudy D.
    Last edited by rudygeorge; 07-25-2004, 04:00 AM.

Re: Hot rails or Cool rails?

I would use either two Cool Rails or a Cool Rail in the mid and a Hot Rail in the neck.

The Hot Rail neck model is a bit hotter and somewhat darker than the Cool Rail. If you like a thick neck pick with plenty of output go with the HRn in the neck position.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I agree with robert...and would go the middle cool rails and the neck hot rails for that extra thick neck when you want it.
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

I'd agree with both.

Keep in mind that Murray uses a Hot Rails in the neck for his lightning fast solos... it's been characteristic of him for quite a while, I think.
        Originally posted by Kanye West
        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Here's another thread, with another point of view that might be worth perusing.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=12052

Comment

What do Hot Rails sound like clean? Do hot rails sound better with 250k pots or 500k pots?

Rudy D.

Comment

Not sure, but 250k for Single, and 500k for hummers... which would point you in the 500k direction.

Don't rely on that though - wait for someone with experience to come.
              Originally posted by Kanye West
              Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Thanks. I read some reviews on the hot rails and one guy said that he found that the 250k pots in his strat made the hot rails sound very dark and not clear. So he switched to 500k pots and it made the hot rails sound much clearer and not as dark.

Rudy D.

Comment

I prefer 500k with the lil/jr/rails pickups as well.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

I prefer the persussive nature of 250k pots, so I tend to completely disconnect the tone controls to eliminate any bleed of the high end. I find this works well for the Hot Rail as well as single coils.

Comment

The Hot Rails is not a great clean pickup. It is so powerful that it will distort at clean settings. I don't know about how it would sound split, however. The Cool Rails is a much better clean sounding pickup than the Hot (although I think that the Vintage Rails has the best clean of the three).
                      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                        I would use either two Cool Rails or a Cool Rail in the mid and a Hot Rail in the neck.

The Hot Rail neck model is a bit hotter and somewhat darker than the Cool Rail. If you like a thick neck pick with plenty of output go with the HRn in the neck position.
                        I also agree with Robert. I played this custom strat that a guy that worked at my local guitar center had and it had a cool-mid and hot-neck. I liked it alot...I think it works the best
                        :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                          The Hot Rails is not a great clean pickup. It is so powerful that it will distort at clean settings. I don't know about how it would sound split, however. The Cool Rails is a much better clean sounding pickup than the Hot (although I think that the Vintage Rails has the best clean of the three).
                          So Hot rails are not good clean because it is very powerful. I guess I will have to go with the Cool Rails because they are great clean and distorted. Should I get 500K pots for the Cool Rails? Is it true that the JB is also good for cleans?

Rudy D.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                            The Hot Rails is not a great clean pickup. It is so powerful that it will distort at clean settings. I don't know about how it would sound split, however.
                            The split HR sounds like a high-quality SingleCoil. Not as glassy as a Strat, but very warm and versatile. I love it in combination with split JB-bridge.
                            Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
                            Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
                            Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

The bridge version of the Hot Rail is very hot and the statement that the cleans are not steller is very true when compared to the Cool Rail. The Hot Rail neck model has specs much closer to the Cool Rails neck and the lack of solid cleans is not a concern as it is with the HR bridge model.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

Working...
                              X