Hot rails or Cool rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot rails or Cool rails?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have used a Hot Rails tele in the bridge of 2 guitars and I don't find the cleans THAT sterile. I know there is better out there for sure, but it's really not that bad if you set it up with your amp and some tweaking with the height to balance out the other pickup(s).

Comment

I played a gig 3 weekends ago with a guy that had a Tele with a Hot Rail in it. He was getting absolutely killer tone from that guitar both clean and under gain. Then again he was playing through my Mesa rack and the clean channel of that rig has alot of headroom. The Duncan Distortion, the X2N and EMGs all sound very nice clean through that amp. Unfortunately most people don't have amps with that much headroom.

As a rule pickups with words like Distortion or Hot in their name are not best suited for clean work and are designed to hit an amps pre section hard. That doesn't mean they can't be played clean with good results but if cleans are a priority a lower output pickup is usually called for.

Most SD neck pickups are spec'ed to a range and their output can't be inferred from their sometimes much hotter bridge counterparts.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
        I played a gig 3 weekends ago with a guy that had a Tele with a Hot Rail in it. He was getting absolutely killer tone from that guitar both clean and under gain. Then again he was playing through my Mesa rack and the clean channel of that rig has alot of headroom. The Duncan Distortion, the X2N and EMGs all sound very nice clean through that amp. Unfortunately most people don't have amps with that much headroom.

As a rule pickups with words like Distortion or Hot in their name are not best suited for clean work and are designed to hit an amps pre section hard. That doesn't mean they can't be played clean with good results but if cleans are a priority a lower output pickup is usually called for.

Most SD neck pickups are spec'ed to a range and their output can't be inferred from their sometimes much hotter bridge counterparts.
        Thanks. I am thinking about coil tapping the JB and the Cool rails. Is this a good idea? I am also thinking about switching the 250k pots in my strat to 500K pots. What will this do to the Cool Rails? Is this a good idea?

Rudy D.

Comment

hot rails neck, set right down in the scratchplate (plastic about 2mm showing) is the BEST funk guitar tone i have EVER found - with two coils... if you get the chance to try it, play fingerstyle and have a bit of reverb... buying the HR has changed my playing style a hell of a lot man

tapped, it sounds very similar to the stock strat SC it replaced, but because its set lower, it sounds a bit less bell-like. i love the cleans i get with either mode

Comment

Coil splitting the JB and the CR is not a bad idea, I just don't normally do it so I don't have a performance review for it.

I prefer the CR with 500k pots, they have better clarity that way.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
            X