Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipstick Tube Pickups.

Hey Everyone...

Just a little history, so you have an idea of where I am coming from tone wise....I recently (within the last year) sold all of my guitars...I used to be a real Ibanez/Jackson type of player, but I got HOOKED on Schecter. (www.schecterguitars.com) and I liked them so much I sold all my old guitars (Accept my Fender Tele) 11 of them in all got sold. I then went and purchased all new Schecter guitars. I really enjoyed the C1-Classic models that I purchased. They remind me of a PRS, only you can still buy food and gas after purchasing one...and they sound almost identical.

Long story short...I recently bought the new Aviation series Schecters and they have 'Duncan Design' pickups in them...I though they would sound okay..as that is what I thought the C1's had in them. Come to find out the C1's are loaded with JB Duncan SH-4's in the bridge and Jazz SH-2N's in the neck. I LOVE the tone that both of those pickups give you....I am able to change the entire sound of the guitar based on how much attack the string...it is by far the most interesting and versitle pickup combo I have ever used...now to my problem. (Side note: I saw a thread where someone was thinking about the JB SH-4....tone is a personal thing...I will live and die by this pickup in the futre...but you might hate it...you should head to Guitar Center or any other Schecter dealer and try a C1-Classic out, if you like the tone...then you can move on from there)

The Duncan Design pickups that are in the Aviation Series sound like complete garbage. (And I am being generous in that review) I need to load some new pickups in them...JB Duncan SH-4's of course in the Bridge...but then that leads me to the neck pickup...(which is a lipstick design and also Duncan Design and sound even worse than the Bridge did) So I am looking for a lipstick tube style pickup...could anyone suggest anything....I love to switch in leads to the neck pickup and get that FAT Tele/Strat tone (ala: Andy Timmon's and Richie Sambora)....but a nice smooth clean tone is very important as well....ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim Smude
    tattooedsoul.com
    I would love to have a battle of wits with you....but you appear unarmed!!

Re: Lipstick Tube Pickups.

Unless the Lipstick you have in there now is strat sized and made to moundt like a strat pickup, there's not a lot of replacements out there for Lipsticks. If you have a trad sized lipstick, the SD Custom shop might be the only place to look to for the sound you want.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The pix in the ads look like Tele lipsticks - Maybe a Tele Quarter Pounder to match up with the JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot
        The pix in the ads look like Tele lipsticks
        ...which is something totally different than a Lipstick Tube pup, commonly found on Dano's.
        Last edited by mrid; 07-25-2004, 07:27 PM.

Comment

How do lipstick tubes sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot
            The pix in the ads look like Tele lipsticks - Maybe a Tele Quarter Pounder to match up with the JB.
            Thank you Maggot...I listened to a few pickups and that was one that I did like...I also liked the '59 Vintage...do you have any experience with either of them...I am concerned about noise and also...feedback....normally I wouldn't be conserned, because I use a pretty low gain level for a rock player...I am usually around 5 or so with the gain, but the Duncan Design pickups in there are screatching at like 6k....like they need to be wax dipped or something...I don't know...but they sound bad too...so I digress.

Comment

You can always take off the chrome cover and look at the big polepieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                You can always take off the chrome cover and look at the big polepieces.
                I am not very technologically savvy when it comes to guitar electronics...what will taking the cover off and looking at the pole pieces tell me? Secondly...I think you said a Tele lipstick pup and a lipstick Tube pup are totally different....what should I tell people I am looking for so I don't confuse them or myself

Thanks- Benjy

Tim

Comment

Taking the cover off the tele pickup will make it brighter and might take care of some of the feedback problems. A tele pickup is not a lipstick tube, it's actually very close to the construction of a strat pickup, it just has a chrome cover over it. With a lipstick tube (founds on Dano's) the chrome tube is what's holding the pickup together. What you're looking for is a Tele neck position pickup. Any tele neck position pickup will fit, including the Hot Rythm, Alnico II Pro Rythm, Quarter Pound Rythm, Vintage Rythm, and Vintage Rythm Stack (for hum cancelling).

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
                    How do lipstick tubes sound?
                    Very chimey. They use Alnico 6 magnets.

Comment

Tey're also very underwound as opposed to, say, strat pickups. Don't lipsticks also use rail polepieces.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                        Very chimey. They use Alnico 6 magnets.
                        I would concur. Sounded very bell-like to me. Charlie Sexton liked them, though. He had some on a Chandler Strat that I saw him playing with the ArchAngels.
                        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X