Detonator pickup wiring 5-w switch , 1 hum 2 singles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detonator pickup wiring 5-w switch , 1 hum 2 singles

I am trying to wire an Ibanez s-series and the 5-way switch has 8 prongs to solder to and the only diagram in the diagrams section of this site shows a 5-way switch with 6 solder points. The humbucker I took out has a white wire soldered to the very end position and a red wire soldered to the 4th prong. (note: the switch does not have anything wired to the 1st or 3rd prongs from the factory).

The pickup says to keep the red and white wires soldered togeather and taped, i tried the small black wire on both the points on the switch (where i removed the white and red) and the pickup is extremely noisy and I can't figure out how to set this up. Please help. Thanks

Re: Detonator pickup wiring 5-w switch , 1 hum 2 singles

Ibanez posts all their schematics on their site. Give me the model number and I'll find the schematic for you.

The thing is that Ibanez uses some creative wiring to do some of their splits off of the 5-way switch and unless I know exactly how your guitar is wired (and the Ibanez color codes for the original pickups) it will be very hard to help you.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

The model is an Ibanez SA 160 2000 model. but I checked the wiring diagram and the switch is wired differently on my guitar then the diagram from Ibanez (my switch has the 1st and 3rd prongs free and the diagram from Ibanez only shows the 4th prong free), I will just take your suggestion off of the wiring diagram from Ibanez and re-wire mine to match that or I can draw out the way mine is wired. doesn't matter to me as long as I can get this to work .
      Last edited by havrelm1; 07-26-2004, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I think what you want is this:

(This shows Seymour Duncan wiring color codes.)

Ibanez wiring diagram

Edit: Changed image to a link, to save forum bandwidth.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-26-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

close, my switch, from left to right, had
          red, red, yellow (to a vol/tone pot i think), white, white, empty, black, empty. the stock humbucker had a red wired to the far left and a white to the 4th from the right, one single coil was the other red and the other single coil was the other white one. So from the Duncan Detonator i tried soldering the small black wire to each of the 2 points of the switch where i removed the red and white from the stock pickup (keeping the red/whie of the duncan taped) and the pick-up slightly works with a lot of electrical noise, and it makes all the other pickups noisy as well.

Comment

why does that volume pot have a cap on it? I'm confused.
            You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

there is a yellow wire on the switch (3rd prong from the left) that is going to the volume pot. And I can assure this is the original factory wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
                why does that volume pot have a cap on it? I'm confused.
                Its a variation of the "treble-bleed" mod, like shown here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...bleed_mod.html

Comment

Originally posted by havrelm1
                  there is a yellow wire on the switch (3rd prong from the left) that is going to the volume pot. And I can assure this is the original factory wiring.
                  Hmmm . . . thats unusual. On an Ibby 5-way, with eight terminals, the middle two, (pins 4 & 5) are the two "common" terminals. This might be one of those situations where you'll just to use a meter to trace things out.

But, also be sure to double check what you're looking at, just in case.

Comment

yea, i am going to check it out when i get home in a few hours and provide the EXACT information but I am almost positive that the switch has (from left) 2 reds, 1 yellow, 2 whites, 1 empty, 1 black and 1 empty (that is if the guitar is on your lap and you are looking at the switch). I have a Telecaster that has this pickup in it (just the pickup and a volume pot) but I can't go off of that wiring for obvious reasons, but it shreds and sounds sweet!
                    Last edited by havrelm1; 07-26-2004, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Does your switch look more like the 1st pic, 2nd pic, or neither?

Comment

The first switch (box style).

Comment

If its the first pic, then 4 & 5 must be the common terminals. If you look closely at the circuit board, you can see the traces through to the other side, and can tell which are the common's, and which are the p'up pads.

That doesn't mean that you're wrong about what you saw, just means there's something odd going on with your wiring.

Any chance you could post a pic of you switch assembly, with wiring?

Comment

here is my wiring set up from the switch, i was wrong about that yellow wire, but regardless i could not wire the pickup without getting extreme electrical noise out of every pickup.
                            Last edited by havrelm1; 07-26-2004, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ok, thats exactly how it should be . . . which isn't exactly what you described first.
                              The blue and green boxes outline the two "halves" of the switch.
                              The side in blue, just selects the three pups in the normal fashion:

1. neck
                              2. neck/middle
                              3. middle
                              4. middle/bridge
                              5. bridge

The side in green, splits the humbucker when the switch is in #4 above.
                              (Actually, it splits it in positions 2, 3, and 4, but 2 and 3 are irrelevant, since the humbucker isn't "selected" in these two positions.

So, what we end up with is:

1. neck
                              2. neck/middle
                              3. middle
                              4. middle/split bridge
                              5. full bridge

Now that we have that worked out . . . what was your original question?

Comment

Working...
                              X