banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the AP II humbucker sound good split and/or in parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wattage
    replied
    Re: Does the AP II humbucker sound good split and/or in parallel?

I haven't used the A2P split but I have used a 59 split quite a bit and I've no problems with output, I am talking about the neck position here. In the bridge I only have experience splitting higher output humbuckers. The JB and the CC both split well and have to my ears fairly authentic single coil tones. The CC split in one of my Strats sounds fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• blindedbysilence
    replied

Would an alnico 5 sound better split? It is a higher output pickup, right?

Leave a comment:

• mongrollo
    replied

Originally posted by Biu
    Thanks!

Back to DiMarzio's for me...they're built for being split, wired in parallel, in/out of phase, etc. etc. etc.
    I'll try to get some AP II's for my Explorer wired regular in series though. It's just a matter of finding them cheap
    I think it depends on the model. I have two dimarzo PAF classics (Airbucker, 8K) and they sound very weak split. The neck was ok, kind of ussable tone, but the bridge was just useless. I just had to push up the gain to feel some power coming from the guitar, and I am not a distorsion lover.

Leave a comment:

• Biu
    replied

Thanks!

Back to DiMarzio's for me...they're built for being split, wired in parallel, in/out of phase, etc. etc. etc.
    I'll try to get some AP II's for my Explorer wired regular in series though. It's just a matter of finding them cheap

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied

Originally posted by Benjy_26
    I like the way it sounds in my Carvin's neck slot when split. It does tend to get thin though. It's alomost an acoustic sound, actually.
    The output on the APH is just so low, even as a bucker that it does not split great. I have the one in the neck of my double fat strat set up to split....and again, it's decent. IMO you need a bucker at least around 12k so that when you split the coils you're somewhere around 6k.

Splitting a lower powered bucker is better in the neck though...as there is more string vibration.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

I like the way it sounds in my Carvin's neck slot when split. It does tend to get thin though. It's alomost an acoustic sound, actually.

Leave a comment:

• Does the AP II humbucker sound good split and/or in parallel?

I like real single-coil tone the MOST, but I'd like to have the ability to switch from that sweet Slash humbucker sound to my beloved single-coil sound. Is the AP II ,like other humbuckers, thin sounding/weak when split or in parallel?
Working...
X