No announcement yet.

Using distortion with the neck pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using distortion with the neck pickup?

Originally posted by joelap
    Well back in the good ol days before distortion.....

I Digress
    I thought of that as I was hitting the Submit button.....
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

On all my guitars, I use my neck pickup almost exclusively. About the only time I use the bridge, is to bring it in to augment the neck. I can't help but wonder if this is one of the things that happens when you only have "emulated amps" instead of real ones.

I'll elaborate on this farther when I get one.

Comment

thats weird artee too, i dont really get it cause how would you rock out with the neck pickup? Thats what the bridge is for isnt it. It would be less defined and also more muddy with hardly any cut. But if uve got your reasons sweet.
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          On all my guitars, I use my neck pickup almost exclusively. About the only time I use the bridge, is to bring it in to augment the neck. I can't help but wonder if this is one of the things that happens when you only have "emulated amps" instead of real ones.

I'll elaborate on this farther when I get one.
          I used to do that when I used a clean only SS amp and a dirt box. The neck just plain sounded better, even with the dirt box on.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
            thats weird artee too, i dont really get it cause how would you rock out with the neck pickup? Thats what the bridge is for isnt it. It would be less defined and also more muddy with hardly any cut. But if uve got your reasons sweet.
            Thats my point. I think its the difference between folks who play "live" with a real amp, and those of us who play exclusively "at home" at low volumes. All my playing is relatively "soft" compared to what you would normally expect from a guitar amp. So, I may hear subtle nuances, that might be missed at "live" volumes. The downside, of course, is that I don't get the classic tones that guitars may be known for in the first place.

I'ld 'druther play loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Dills

How else would you get the J. Mascis "stun guitar" sound? If that aint rockin, then I don't know what is!
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
              X