X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rspst14
    replied
    Re: Dimarzio Parts suck

I have Dimarzio 500k push/pull pots in both of my guitars, and they seem to be high quality parts. I got them on Kent's recommendation. If you just need standard pots, CTS pots are good quality and inexpensive. But most push/pull pots are cheap and made god knows where. The Dimarzio push/pull pots seem to be of much higher quality.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

I always thought that Dimarzio just repackaged parts. All the pots I have are repacked CTS's from Dimarzio, so are the swsitches in my Strat and Tele and the switches in my Paul and Sheraton. The switches were all repacked Switchcraft hardware. They're good enough for me.

Other manufacturers do this as well, such as Peavyer repacking EH tubes and Dunlop Straplocks.

Leave a comment:

• yes-fan
    replied

i have dimarzio parts in all of my guitars and they kick. i didnt relize were they made. i dont think it matters.

Leave a comment:

• Evan Skopp
    replied

In the "sucks" vs. "rules" debate of life, please be respectful to Seymour Duncan's competitors. They're not on this forum to defend themselves. Feel free to talk objectively about them, but please limit derogatory language (like "DiMarzio sucks").

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood board administrator (that's "board" not "bored").

:-)

Leave a comment:

• BachToRock
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    A pot is a pot as far as pure functionality go.
    Actually a pot is not a pot.
    The quality of the materials it is constructed with makes a difference in the sound. The signal from the pickup has to pass through the wiper of the pot... the more conductive the material the better... same with internal wiring in your guitar and the cord that connects you to your amplifier.
    Your signal is only as good as it's weakest link!
    Needless to say, it does not matter WHERE something is made... WHAT it is made of is much more important.

Leave a comment:

• jmh151
    replied

Mine weren't marked up, the receipt indicated they were made in Mexico. The pots are stamped Dimarzio. I called Dimarzio, and they indicated that they are CTS pots, but CTS now makes the pots in Mexico under Dimarzio's specs.

Leave a comment:

• ranalli
    replied

Originally posted by Kent S.
    Well people whined when BOSS changed their manufacturing from MIJ to MIT, but they were the same quality ... They insist huh? Every company that sells parts makes some suggestion that you use their stuff ... it's called marketing ... $30 for a 4P5T switch isn't that much to pay for a quality switch (mine had a CRL marking on it) although you paid list ... you probably won't like the fact that it has offset throws on two of the poles either ... marked Mexico? Mine weren't marked at all, must be something new. I got upset when they stopped selling pup mounting kits in those little tubes, I used to buy them just to get the tubes (those that have 'em know what I'm talking about) great for keeping caps and what not in. As long as the stuff does what I need it too, and lasts I'm fine with whoever they get to manufacture them.

What he said

Leave a comment:

• mrid
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    I don't understand this. Or what . . . you'll get a spanking?
    I would think this would encourage the use of non-Dimarzio parts...

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by jmh151
    Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups . . .
    I don't understand this. Or what . . . you'll get a spanking?

A pup won't know what parts its connected to. Just use whatever you want.
    A pot is a pot as far as pure functionality go.

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

Originally posted by jmh151
    O.K.- for years I've had Dimarzio Evolutions in my Ibanez RG570, alond with an HS-3 middle position. I decided to try to upgrade the pots and switch up from the standard Ibanez. Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups, I ordered a 5 way 4 pole switch, as well as 2 500k pots and 1 meg pot. Since they were more expensive than the ones on guitarelectronics.com or stewart macdonald, I expected them to be high quality, CTS or better. When I received them in the mail, all parts were made in Mexico. $30 for the switch, and $7 a piece for the pots, when I could have got american made CTS pots for cheaper. I haven't opened the packages yet, maybe Dimarzio makes them to higher spec in mexico? I doubt it. Never buy parts from them. I like their pickups, butthis is a dissappointment
    Well people whined when BOSS changed their manufacturing from MIJ to MIT, but they were the same quality ... They insist huh? Every company that sells parts makes some suggestion that you use their stuff ... it's called marketing ... $30 for a 4P5T switch isn't that much to pay for a quality switch (mine had a CRL marking on it) although you paid list ... you probably won't like the fact that it has offset throws on two of the poles either ... marked Mexico? Mine weren't marked at all, must be something new. I got upset when they stopped selling pup mounting kits in those little tubes, I used to buy them just to get the tubes (those that have 'em know what I'm talking about) great for keeping caps and what not in. As long as the stuff does what I need it too, and lasts I'm fine with whoever they get to manufacture them.

Leave a comment:

• jmh151
    started a topic Dimarzio Parts suck

Dimarzio Parts suck

O.K.- for years I've had Dimarzio Evolutions in my Ibanez RG570, alond with an HS-3 middle position. I decided to try to upgrade the pots and switch up from the standard Ibanez. Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups, I ordered a 5 way 4 pole switch, as well as 2 500k pots and 1 meg pot. Since they were more expensive than the ones on guitarelectronics.com or stewart macdonald, I expected them to be high quality, CTS or better. When I received them in the mail, all parts were made in Mexico. $30 for the switch, and $7 a piece for the pots, when I could have got american made CTS pots for cheaper. I haven't opened the packages yet, maybe Dimarzio makes them to higher spec in mexico? I doubt it. Never buy parts from them. I like their pickups, butthis is a dissappointment
Working...
X