Dimarzio Parts suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Parts suck

O.K.- for years I've had Dimarzio Evolutions in my Ibanez RG570, alond with an HS-3 middle position. I decided to try to upgrade the pots and switch up from the standard Ibanez. Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups, I ordered a 5 way 4 pole switch, as well as 2 500k pots and 1 meg pot. Since they were more expensive than the ones on guitarelectronics.com or stewart macdonald, I expected them to be high quality, CTS or better. When I received them in the mail, all parts were made in Mexico. $30 for the switch, and $7 a piece for the pots, when I could have got american made CTS pots for cheaper. I haven't opened the packages yet, maybe Dimarzio makes them to higher spec in mexico? I doubt it. Never buy parts from them. I like their pickups, butthis is a dissappointment

Re: Dimarzio Parts suck

Originally posted by jmh151
    O.K.- for years I've had Dimarzio Evolutions in my Ibanez RG570, alond with an HS-3 middle position. I decided to try to upgrade the pots and switch up from the standard Ibanez. Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups, I ordered a 5 way 4 pole switch, as well as 2 500k pots and 1 meg pot. Since they were more expensive than the ones on guitarelectronics.com or stewart macdonald, I expected them to be high quality, CTS or better. When I received them in the mail, all parts were made in Mexico. $30 for the switch, and $7 a piece for the pots, when I could have got american made CTS pots for cheaper. I haven't opened the packages yet, maybe Dimarzio makes them to higher spec in mexico? I doubt it. Never buy parts from them. I like their pickups, butthis is a dissappointment
    Well people whined when BOSS changed their manufacturing from MIJ to MIT, but they were the same quality ... They insist huh? Every company that sells parts makes some suggestion that you use their stuff ... it's called marketing ... $30 for a 4P5T switch isn't that much to pay for a quality switch (mine had a CRL marking on it) although you paid list ... you probably won't like the fact that it has offset throws on two of the poles either ... marked Mexico? Mine weren't marked at all, must be something new. I got upset when they stopped selling pup mounting kits in those little tubes, I used to buy them just to get the tubes (those that have 'em know what I'm talking about) great for keeping caps and what not in. As long as the stuff does what I need it too, and lasts I'm fine with whoever they get to manufacture them.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151
      Since Dimarzio insists that you use their pots with their pickups . . .
      I don't understand this. Or what . . . you'll get a spanking?

A pup won't know what parts its connected to. Just use whatever you want.
      A pot is a pot as far as pure functionality go.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
        I don't understand this. Or what . . . you'll get a spanking?
        I would think this would encourage the use of non-Dimarzio parts...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
          Well people whined when BOSS changed their manufacturing from MIJ to MIT, but they were the same quality ... They insist huh? Every company that sells parts makes some suggestion that you use their stuff ... it's called marketing ... $30 for a 4P5T switch isn't that much to pay for a quality switch (mine had a CRL marking on it) although you paid list ... you probably won't like the fact that it has offset throws on two of the poles either ... marked Mexico? Mine weren't marked at all, must be something new. I got upset when they stopped selling pup mounting kits in those little tubes, I used to buy them just to get the tubes (those that have 'em know what I'm talking about) great for keeping caps and what not in. As long as the stuff does what I need it too, and lasts I'm fine with whoever they get to manufacture them.

What he said

Comment

Mine weren't marked up, the receipt indicated they were made in Mexico. The pots are stamped Dimarzio. I called Dimarzio, and they indicated that they are CTS pots, but CTS now makes the pots in Mexico under Dimarzio's specs.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              A pot is a pot as far as pure functionality go.
              Actually a pot is not a pot.
              The quality of the materials it is constructed with makes a difference in the sound. The signal from the pickup has to pass through the wiper of the pot... the more conductive the material the better... same with internal wiring in your guitar and the cord that connects you to your amplifier.
              Your signal is only as good as it's weakest link!
              Needless to say, it does not matter WHERE something is made... WHAT it is made of is much more important.
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

In the "sucks" vs. "rules" debate of life, please be respectful to Seymour Duncan's competitors. They're not on this forum to defend themselves. Feel free to talk objectively about them, but please limit derogatory language (like "DiMarzio sucks").

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood board administrator (that's "board" not "bored").

:-)
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

i have dimarzio parts in all of my guitars and they kick. i didnt relize were they made. i dont think it matters.
                  Down at the edge, close by a river.
                  Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                  Close to the end, down by the corner.
                  Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

I always thought that Dimarzio just repackaged parts. All the pots I have are repacked CTS's from Dimarzio, so are the swsitches in my Strat and Tele and the switches in my Paul and Sheraton. The switches were all repacked Switchcraft hardware. They're good enough for me.

Other manufacturers do this as well, such as Peavyer repacking EH tubes and Dunlop Straplocks.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I have Dimarzio 500k push/pull pots in both of my guitars, and they seem to be high quality parts. I got them on Kent's recommendation. If you just need standard pots, CTS pots are good quality and inexpensive. But most push/pull pots are cheap and made god knows where. The Dimarzio push/pull pots seem to be of much higher quality.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
                        The quality of the materials it is constructed with makes a difference in the sound. The signal from the pickup has to pass through the wiper of the pot... the more conductive the material the better... same with internal wiring in your guitar and the cord that connects you to your amplifier.
                        Needless to say, it does not matter WHERE something is made... WHAT it is made of is much more important.
                        I don't want to say that you're wrong, because I know you have more experience in guitars than I do, but I do have difficulty accepting this. The difference in conductivity between the cheapest tin, and the most expensive gold-plated, oxygen-free copper isn't going to be significant within the context of a guitar signal. (IMHO)

There's a good article on this very subject, (relative to guitar cords), at the GuitarNuts website. And I don't necessarily take what that guy says as gospel either. He may not have anymore knowledge or experience as you do. But it fits with my own three decades of electronics/audio/pro-audio experience.

So I must ask: have you ever noticed a fidelity improvement by simply changing a pot in a guitar, that you're sure wasn't related to something else that may have changed at the same time. Like a subtle difference in the resistance values of the two pots for instance? Or an improvement in a "bad" solder connection?

If you say yes . . . I'll believe you.

Comment

I think everything in between the leads on your pickup an the voice coil of the speaker in your amp has a subtle effect on your tone.
                          The high-impedance signal of a stereo system is much the same as the signal from your pickups.
                          GuitarNuts makes some valid points, but seems to concentrate more on bashing the myths than explaining what is ideal and mosy importantly... WHY.
                          Here are the most logical/intelligent articles I have found on the effects of cables, connectors, etc.... on an audio signal.

Electrons are just like water... they have to flow from the source to their destination... the higher the conductivity and less resistive the material the better... in the case of a high-impedance signal you also want low capacatince
                          The RESISTANCE part of a potentiometer is from the middle wiper(hot to output jack) to ground... the connection between the hot leg to the middle wiper has it's own characteristics of impedance/capacitance the can effect the flow of electrons.

Food for thought... WHY do the USA production Duncans sound so good... it's the quality of the materials such as the wire used to wind the coils.
                          Also... think of how different pickups sound... the difference between some is just the type of insulation that is on the wire!

Interestingly enough... so many people love the George L's cables which are technically not a very good design for guitar signal... especially the shielding...
                          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                            I would think this would encourage the use of non-Dimarzio parts...
                            Depends on whether they have beautiful women scantily clad in leather doing it or not ... But enough of that ...

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
                              Although I see your point here,and basically agree with it this is mainly a follow up for Art... I find the greatest differences in the actual precision of tapers, tolerances, and of course the physical strength and longevity of the part itself. Now I'm not fully up on the actual manufacturing details, but some pots just don't last, the tracks actually wear out in very short order or they are very intolerant to heat. Also the metal on some overseas made pots are well ...very flimsy ... I actually went to tighten down a loose mounted volume pot with a nut driver and an el cheapo pot bushing stripped ... The nut was fine, but the threads on the bushing stripped ... and I wasn't death gripping it either. Some pots you roll up to ten and check the resistance between the wiper and the CW pad, and you could get 45 ohms, on better made pots you might get 9ohms. That's the kinda stuff I'm talking about, also some pots are more capacitive then others.

Comment

Working...
                              X