Dimarzio Air Zone vs. CC vs. BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Air Zone vs. CC vs. BBQ

This is the topic I use to thouroughly think out what I need in the bridge of my Stratocaster. Any help is appreciated!!!

So right now I have a TB-5 in the bridge. As we all know the bridge position on a Stratocaster is rather thin ... and while the low end growls and I love that, leads sound brittle and thin with it. Especially in comparison to the neck JB. At first I didn't want to take the JB out but I've decided to replace both pickups. I don't think I'll find a thicker pickup than the Custom that'll match with the JB so I have to make a compromise. And anyways I want better clean sounds and more versatility when the coils are split.

So most likely I'm going to try out the Air Norton I have laying around in the neck. That and possibly the Humbucker from Hell (anyone have experience?), or even the Pearly Gates.

Bridge is a problem though. I want something with around the same output as the Custom but has a thicker, smoother sound. I play just about every style of music with this axe, everything from twelve-bar-blues to shredding like a madman to fingerpicking. I figure that I'll split the pickups for a more "Stratty" sound and that will give me versatility for a lot of what I play.

That being said, this will be used mainly for heavier styles and soloing. What I really really want is a unique tone.

BUT!! Back to that thick bridge pickup. So I'm looking for something smooth, with good harmonics, but still able to get aggressive when needed. And most importantly something that'll warm up the icepicky bridge of the Strat. And something that'll be comparable to the Custom in output. My candidates for this pickup are:

Custom Custom (I am worried though because I do a lot of palm muting, from scales to playing rhythm)
    Rio Grande BBQ (Most likely one of these goes in my LP Custom)
    Dimarzio Air Zone (sounds good.... sound clips?)
    Dimarzio Breed (longshot)

So to sum it all up I guess I'm looking for an all-around good pickup that'll warm up the bridge position of the Strat, still have high output, but is still capable of good cleans, especially when split.

A little help here!
    Last edited by The Don; 07-28-2004, 09:25 AM.

Re: Dimarzio Air Zone vs. CC vs. BBQ

I have an alder Strat with a standard trem - likely it isn't as thin sounding as the Ibanez. So if the Breed thickens up the Ibanez, probably it should do an even better job with the Strat. Hmmm.

Right now I have an Air Norton, a Screamin Demon, and a SuperD laying around. Once I get my new pickguard in I was going to try the SuperD with the JB, then the Demon and the Air Norton, and then move on to new pickups. Basically I'm trying everything before spending more money.

The BBQ and the Air Zone are similar...? Strange, reading reviews on Harmony Central the Air Zone isn't reccommended for Les Pauls, and almost everyone reviewing the BBQ have it in their Les Pauls. lol.

So Breed = Good. What are its tonal characteristics - it's supposedly PAF-like, not as much as the Air Zone but still PAF-like. The Custom is also supposed to be PAF-like. I don't know if I want something similar to a PAF in my Strat ... I'm aiming for a unique, recognizable tone. I'm almost thinking of dropping a FRED in the bridge.

(FRED/PAF Pro/Humbucker From Hell in the neck?)

Maybe the bluesbucker would go good in my Les Paul. I like the sound of hte 59 I have in there right now but a little more articulation would be nice. A BBQ/Bluesbucker combo? Hmmm.
    Last edited by The Don; 07-28-2004, 10:18 AM.

Comment

The Tone Zone kinda scares me.... seems like people either love it or hate it. For some reason I don't think I'd like it too much... though it would match up well with a JB most likely.

Yea the FRED does sound good, I've been listening to Satch all morning and that's where I got the idea from.

But the Breed still sounds good though. I think I read a review of it saying that it had the power of a Tone Zone but the shimmer and articulation of the FRED .... any insight into its tone?

Lookign at potential pickup combos here... Breed/FRED sticks out, as does FRED/PAF PRO or FRED/Air Norton ...

Comment

The JB's also in the neck.

Comment

I highly recommened the CC for your purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
            Ooops, I thought it was at the bridge. That must be HOT at the neck.
            YES. There's almost nothing that can balance with it, and even if it does it sounds thin in comparison. While it's great maybe it's just not suited for this guitar.

Stratcat - Explain why.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem as the don and im getting a breed to solve the bridge position problem ive always found the bridge position to shrill and thin. Even with a custom its slightly venturing on that and it seems like i cannot find a single duncan that sounds big and smooths the bridge slot out without to much hi end sizzle so i ordeered a breed which is supposed to sound like a fatter PAF PRO with a bit more output which is exactly what im after, cause the PAF PRO is one of my favourites. I to reckon the only duncan i can think of that would smooth out that position would be the CC but i heard its got kind of spongy lows?
              PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
              1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
              Blackstar HT-5
              2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
              Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

CC/PG is a great set!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
                  I have exactly the same problem as the don and im getting a breed to solve the bridge position problem ive always found the bridge position to shrill and thin. Even with a custom its slightly venturing on that and it seems like i cannot find a single duncan that sounds big and smooths the bridge slot out without to much hi end sizzle so i ordeered a breed which is supposed to sound like a fatter PAF PRO with a bit more output which is exactly what im after, cause the PAF PRO is one of my favourites. I to reckon the only duncan i can think of that would smooth out that position would be the CC but i heard its got kind of spongy lows?
                  How long till you get it in? I'd like to see how it goes for ya.

If it sounds like a beefed up PAF Pro I'd be excited. It'd be right along the lines of that and the FRED, huh?

Breed/FRED sounds like a cool combination.

Yes I heard that the CC has spongy lows too - that would suit my Les Paul just fine (I play blues with it) but this guitar I do a lot of palm muting with... spongy lows would not be good.

Comment

I get pretty solid lows from my CC, though it might depend a lot on my guitar's body woods (maple neck-thru w maple wings and an ebony fretboard). I have it paired with an APH and love the sound.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Ive been waiting for the breed a while now ive already ordered it ill let you know what it sounds like when i give it a whirl. There are some pretty positive reviews on the breed at harmony central heres the link :

PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                      Blackstar HT-5
                      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I have owned all of those pickups.

The CC is the "spongiest" of them. It also distorts the easiest. I did not like it in the bridge of my SG. Although voiced in the mids, the way it broke up produced a very bright distortion. Couple that with it's lack of low end, it was not very warm to my ears at all, at least in my guitar. I tried all sorts of pickup height adjustments, but to no avail. Had a shrill quality that I could not dial out. Even my band thought so.

The Air Zone is a great pickup. Nothing like the CC. It is an Alnico V pup and is much tighter. It is VERY similar to a JB. It has a bit more highs than the JB and is a bit more "open" sounding (less mids). A bit less "thick" than the JB, but warm and solid. A great pickup.

The Tone Zone is like the Air Zone but wound hotter. It had the same problem as the CC in that it was hard to get a clean sound becasue it broke up real easy produciing a "raspy" sort of high end in the distortion. I hated it. By the way, it sounds (to my ears) NOTHING like an Air Zone despite what the DiMarzio Tone Chart would have you believe.

Dimarzio Breed. Another very very good pickup. Like the AirZone but warmer on the top end (a bit less treble) and with SLIGHTLY more mids. It comes off as warmer. VERY similar to an old JB but with a bit less..... "push" in the high mids. Also a "drop" less treble.

Rio Grand BBQ. By far the darkest, warmest pickup mentioned. Like the JB but with more bass, less treble and a bit more "push" in the mids. Not a distortion pickup, but LOUD anyway. LOTS of balls. VERY VERY thick. Musical sounding. Just right if you are looking for the fattest bridge pickup around. Too much if you do not like a lot of mids. I personally love it. Has a LOT of life and character. Just be sure that you want WARM WARM WARM. I can picture it being muddy in the wrong guitar, but is perfect in my SG.

Hope this helps! Peace.

Last edited by Mac-P; 07-30-2004, 09:39 AM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                        buggjuice.net
                        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well today I went out and bought the Breed. I was lucky enough to find one in a local music shop, and I decided to solder it in myself (I have not soldered anything in, ever, in my life). Well I managed to do it pretty damn good because it makes sound... and it sounds AWESOME.

Compared to the TB-5 there's a bit more bass, more mids, and less treble (ya think?). Palm mutes aren't as tight as with the TB-5 with the ceramic magnet, and also high notes aren't as brittle. Not nearly as brittle. In fact the high end is plain sweet now. Basically it has many of the same features of the TB-5; what I did not like about the TB-5 the Breed has definitely made up for. WOW.

Position 2 (with a Screamin Demon) clean yields a great Strat quack sound, albeit more compressed. That surprised the **** out of me.

Also, it has a tad less output than the Custom and it balances quite well with the JB in the neck... yeah... you heard me! I might lower it but overall I am very impressed.

In conclusion, guys, if you ever need something to warm up the bridge of a Strat, the Breed should be at the top of your list. It might be DiMarzio's best kept secret...

Comment

I have a Breed in an Floyd rose equipped Ibanez. Best thing I ever bought pickup-wise.

It gives a warm, smooth, yet moderately hot sound and takes away the shrillness and brittle high end associated with floyd guitars.

This is certainly one of Dimarzio's better pups. Most reviews about it on harmony central are very positive. In comparison, other pickups tend to get very polarized i.e. very good or very bad reviews.

Comment

Yes, the Breed probably is DiMarzio's best kept secret (people have caught on to the Air Zone). And you can adjust the pole pieces on BOTH coils of the Breed. Nice!

The bridge in the SG to the left there in my avatar is a Breed with a Pearly Gates neck. GREAT combo by the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                              buggjuice.net
                              MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X