So I installed a JB in my RG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I installed a JB in my RG

I just installed a JB in my RG 550. Oh sounds awesome. I just played over my V-Amp 2 at home. But this evening i have band practice and then i can crank .

The sound is very balanced, much clearer then the old V2. The string to string definition is much better. Very tight. Makes me play weird things if i play palmute... More i can't say until now 'coz i just play at bedroom level
    I can't wait till i fire it over my amp....

I have to find the right PU height. I haven't found that sweet spot yet. I have now the pickup 1/8 of an inch away from the strings.

A good starting point for the distance from the bridge pickup to the strings is 3/32 of an inch.
    maybe i can rise it a bit....
    but first i go for lunch
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Just took the guitar again. i think i forgot how awesome it sounded when i was writing. ;D
    It just screams. Can't find the right words to describe this .....
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Just wait untill you hear the JB in the band mix. Definately cuts through and just letting an E or F chord ring out brings a smile to my face. I love the palm mute sound I get from it too. IMHO it's a perfect pickup for any fast type of music.
      Rock on bro!

Comment

i wasn't satisfied with the palmmute sound. but i rised the pu a bit now its perfect.

btw new username?

now band practice starts hehe
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

The JB is great..........you might want to also look at the Rio BBQ as it is similar but has better bass. But, the JB cuts betetr with the highs.

As much as I like the C-5......the JB just balances right in so many guitars...especially maple capped mahogany.

I usually go for 1/16" to 2/16" for string height....usually crank up the amp and move the p'up up and down till it's right.

Sometimes I find to much string noise with high settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
            Just wait untill you hear the JB in the band mix. Definately cuts through and just letting an E or F chord ring out brings a smile to my face. I love the palm mute sound I get from it too. IMHO it's a perfect pickup for any fast type of music.
            Rock on bro!
            Yeah it's amazing.... i always was thought how you made this fast palmute 1/16 on your first clip.... but with the jb it's that simple.. it's inspire me to play f/n fast. It's so tight i thought it rings before i hit the string
            It was hard too lay back in the band I always want to go ahead.
            Now I'm in the front of the mix. I could be a bit back . Can't here my band mates enough . Maybe i have to scoop my amp a bit more???
            Don't need a solo boost it just cuts. Solos sound that sweet...
            Palm mute sound is so fantastic...
            Clean is much better too...
            Nice feedback sounds

JB vs. stock V2
            It's smoother but still more agressive
            it's clearer but it's like it has more distortion...
            it's fatter but also brighter

The JB is great..........you might want to also look at the Rio BBQ as it is similar but has better bass. But, the JB cuts betetr with the highs.
            The JB has just the right amount of bass for me.
            TS 7 (modded)
            Hot Rod 50+ XL
            Framus Dragon 4x12
            V-AMP II for practice

Comment

the JB just rips!!!!!!!!!!!!! screamin harmonics awesome palm mutes singing solo tone !!!!!!!!
              Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
              Suhr OD-50
              Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Hails man
                check out my Jb sound clip on tiops and clips
                Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                  Yeah it's amazing.... i always was thought how you made this fast palmute 1/16 on your first clip.... but with the jb it's that simple.. it's inspire me to play f/n fast. It's so tight i thought it rings before i hit the string
                  It was hard too lay back in the band I always want to go ahead.
                  Now I'm in the front of the mix. I could be a bit back . Can't here my band mates enough . Maybe i have to scoop my amp a bit more???
                  Don't need a solo boost it just cuts. Solos sound that sweet...
                  Palm mute sound is so fantastic...
                  Clean is much better too...
                  Nice feedback sounds

JB vs. stock V2
                  It's smoother but still more agressive
                  it's clearer but it's like it has more distortion...
                  it's fatter but also brighter

The JB has just the right amount of bass for me.
                  Yeah, new forum new username, the initial Punkass(P.A) Distortion was a joke at first but I grew tired of it, though I might change it back someday.

My guitar is very dominant in the Band mix, and yeah you don't really need a solo boost as the pickup sings through it all! I didn't like it at first too but once I found the sweet spot there was no turning back. When properly adjusted the JB rips bigtime! It almost plays itself! You could scoop the mids a little to blend in the mix better. Just experiment to see what you like. I play mostly rythem in my band because I am also the singer but sometimes I bust out a solo and the JB is perfect for it! If the lead player needs to play some lead riff I sometimes switch over to the neck humbucker to act as a backgroud riff that isn't dominating so much. At the end of april we will record our first demo in a profesional studio and I will certainly post some songs on this forum.

What I did to fatten it up is to raise all the adjustable polepieces so that the bottom of the screwhead is level with the top of the bobbin. This way the polepieces stick out quite a bit and the magnetic field gets stronger or something, not shure but you can definately hear the difference. Harmonics will also be a lot easier to produce. Try it and see if you like it. After that you can adjust the polepieces to the radius of the fretboard for better balance. Just trust your ears.
                  After hearing the '59 cleans the JB cleans aren't that great IMHO but still usable. It's kind of strat quacky.
                  Rock on!

Comment

I found it plays very good but the fact that it cuts and has no mud make it a bit more difficult for me. Maybe I learn better playing. I can now play more with accord voicings 'coz I hear every note/string... yeah it's not that compressed like my stock which i think help much
                    Maybe my rythmus playing won't be that boring some day...
                    Solo sound is beautiful too. My drummer said this too and he is a sound freak and has always GAS too.
                    I agree with Nightburst, just the right PU for fast music.

But i still don't know how to blend the mix better. Don't wanna scoop. I've just scooped a bit the mids to sound more modern... but don't wanna sound like new metal....

The problem is our other guitarist has a high end rig but a guitar which is just crap. Its an Ibanez S with i think powersounds
                    It sounds like i had my tone pot at five or something with my stock pus. oups i don't have the tone pot connect at all
                    He always cuts through the mix better then me 'coz he had the better cab. Now i cut coz i have a better PU and a mid heavier amp and play with less gain.
                    It's weird that my drummer said i should raise my volume he just hear the other guitar. Because i can't here the other guitar. Maybe coz he sits not in front of the amps. Or he just mixed up which guitar is which...
                    But just the experience of the last practice though first imporession is often the best.
                    I think we have to sit together and set up the sound together....
                    oh this was very off topic sorry
                    Last edited by Marcel; 03-13-2004, 11:06 AM.
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

The first thing to do in a band mix is to set up so you are being heard. Mid's wil take care of that. After that you can tweak the sound to your liking.
                      Some settings can sound great when you are playing alone but crap out on you in the band mix. Just spend some quality time to set everything up. With everything set up properly

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Nightburst; 03-13-2004, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X