Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport X-Rays

Hello all.

I had a SH-13 Dimebucker, a SHR-1 Hot Rails and two SVR-1's go through airport X-ray machines about a week ago.
    Do any of you think (or know) if these X-rays can damage the pickups in any way?

Re: Airport X-Rays

I'm no physicist. But, I can't see how it would happen. Copper, ceramic, and plastic are fairly inert. I s'pose you could always check the DC resistance and see if there's any difference.
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Plain and simple: NO. At least not enough to be noticable

An X-ray can expose film, yes. But we´re not talking about matter here, that could physically damage the pickup, but about radiation, an energy form more than anything else (OKOKOK; protons , neurons and such are Also particles, I know. But due to their size, that is completely irrelevant here ). If you took a pickup and laid it next to a live fuel rod from a nuclear reactor (and shielded the pickup from heat, of course), you ´d see no difference. The immense radiation MIGHT have weakened the magnet and materials a bit, but I´m talking about a nuclear reactor and not some piddly-ass x-ray machine
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

well my gordon smith has been through 6 of them.. and it doesnt sound any different to my ears
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Just don't make it mad. You won't like it when it's mad.

Comment

I find that they get more transparent...

OK, bad joke.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
              I'm no physicist. But, I can't see how it would happen. Copper, ceramic, and plastic are fairly inert. I s'pose you could always check the DC resistance and see if there's any difference.

Well, I am a physicist and I don't see anything that could happen to the pickups... . The only possible sensitive part will be the magnets. And I don't think the X-rays will affect them anyhow. (may be this is the secret of the Dunc-Age process!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                I find that they get more transparent...

OK, bad joke.
                I laughed, so it wasn't that bad.
                7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
                X