banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring problems Vintage Stack for Telecatsers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring problems Vintage Stack for Telecatsers.

I hope someone can help me with this issue.
    I bought a set of the Vintage Stack for Teles (STK-T1n and STK-T3b) and followed the wiring instructions. I realized that the sound was very thin when the switch was in the middle position, and then realized that on the drawing provided by Seymour D the neck PU was turned 180 around. However, in my Tele there wasn't enough wood carved out of the neck PU cavity to provide soace for the bobbin when turned. I therefore though that if i switched the wires between the PU-switch and from behind the vol pot I could turn the bobbin back to "normal". But this time the sound was OK in the midposition but very thin in the neckposition. I find this very strange.
    Any ideas?

Re: Wiring problems Vintage Stack for Telecatsers.

Welcome to the Forum!

Check all your solder joints. Also, what wire do you have going to the switch and which one(s) is/are going to ground? Red and white, I assume, are soldered together and are taped of, correct?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hi, and thanks for your answer.
      Yes red/white are soldered together on both PU's. Greed wire from both PU's are soldered to the back of the volume pot together with a bare wire (bridge PU) and a yellow wire (neck PU). The neck PU has a yellow wire instead of the bare wire that the bridge PU have. Black wire from both PU's are soldered to the switch. So, in order to turn the neck PU 180 around, I figured that I could solder the green one on the switch and the black one to the pot.
      The sound is great when they play together, but the output of the neck PU is significantly lesser than the bridge PU.

Comment

Originally posted by FVH
        Hi, and thanks for your answer.
        Yes red/white are soldered together on both PU's. Greed wire from both PU's are soldered to the back of the volume pot together with a bare wire (bridge PU) and a yellow wire (neck PU). The neck PU has a yellow wire instead of the bare wire that the bridge PU have. Black wire from both PU's are soldered to the switch. So, in order to turn the neck PU 180 around, I figured that I could solder the green one on the switch and the black one to the pot.
        The sound is great when they play together, but the output of the neck PU is significantly lesser than the bridge PU.
        Not sure what you are doing, yellow wire? Maybe the stacks have that ...
        anyway, there is no need to turn the pup one way or the other, reversing the wires will not *turn* the pup, it will put the pup out of phase with the other pup when they are on together. A thinner, metallic, nasally type tone,with less output. I'd wire them stock and not worry about the pup being turned around. Sounds to me like you reversed the phase of one pup, put it back like it was, and check all you solder connections. The neck pup will be a bit lower in volume, they are wound that way, but if it is a BIG difference, then I'd say you have a bad solder joint. Also tape up those red and white wires so they don't short against anything (if you haven't all ready that is).
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
        X