custom 5 or JB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom 5 or JB ?

i just got a 1991 hamer sunburst (maple + mahogany w/rosewood) double cut les paul style it has a 59 in the neck . i want something that is thick with lots of sustain and tons of harmonics !! for 80's style hard rock in the vein of george lynch / john sykes / gary moore / vivian campbell . to use with my soldano hot rod 50 and marshall jcm 800 2204 thanks scott
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Re: custom 5 or JB ?

If you're playing a lot of 80's metal, the Screaming Deamon, JB or DD would work well.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

for that kind of stuff, the JB definitely.

Comment

Jb
        My Sound Clips

Comment

If that same pickup could be moved to other guitars, I'd try a Custom 5.
          That way, if it sounds great, leave it. If you think a JB would sound better, you could put that C-5 into another one of your JB loaded guitars, and swap for awhile.
          I like both those pickups better than most Duncan bridge pickups, so I choose the C-5 for guitars with plenty of mids, and use the JB in guitars that have smaller mids.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

a jb in a les paul sounds great but i want to try the C5 but i am a little worried about the lack of mids and the bass being overpowering i have never had a problem with the bass from a jb it always rocks !!
            Suhr OD-50
            Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

Comment

The JB & C5 are almost exact opposites.

If you want that 80's sort of thick single notes thing, the JB is THE pickup that everyone used to get it. Can't be beat with the right Marshall in my humble opinion.

The C5 is not for "thick" single notes as it lacks mids. It is more Kirk Hammet than Warren DiMartini or EVH.

Yes, I know Eddie didn't use a JB, but with his amps and fingers, his tone kind of sounds like that. Warm and wide and vocal when playing single notes.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
              buggjuice.net
              MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

very true Mac-p i was thinking that all along but everybody is always talkin about the C5 !!!!!! but when i think about it the JB is it for me (so far ) thanks scott
                Suhr OD-50
                Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

Comment

i have both of those pups in bridge position of guitars ... JB in a solid mahogany and C5 in thin body mahogany with thin maple top ... i think the JB will get you what you want ... for me, the C5 thickened up and rolled back the extra highs from an overly bright guitar

good luck
                  t4d
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                  X