Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Humbuckers in parrallel which hum!

Once i "tested" one wiring, which i reversed the wires of one humbucker:
    not the grenn & balck wire, i did it with the red/white & the green/black wire!
    red and white to ground and hot, green & black in series. For splitting i wanted to connect all humbuckers to ground and having free of hum in position 2 & 4 (3 humbuckers!!)
    That worked, but when not splitted the humbuckers did have hum in Position 2 & 4!!!!
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Re: 2 Humbuckers in parrallel which hum!

Yup, thats why you use green and black for hot.

The two coils of a humbucker are wound in such a way that any noise induced onto both cancels by the way they are connected. You reversed that connection so that they "add" rather than "cancel".

Hopefully Kent or Robert, et al., can verify if I'm saying this correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
      Once i "tested" one wiring, which i reversed the wires of one humbucker:
      not the grenn & balck wire, i did it with the red/white & the green/black wire!
      red and white to ground and hot, green & black in series. For splitting i wanted to connect all humbuckers to ground and having free of hum in position 2 & 4 (3 humbuckers!!)
      That worked, but when not splitted the humbuckers did have hum in Position 2 & 4!!!!
      Your not matching opposite magnetic polarities, you gotta have a north and a south, not two norths or to souths, with three humbuckers you are not going to be able to have all three split and have them be hum-free. I really don't understand what you are trying to say here. If it's a S/S/H set up, then with a single coil in the middle (3 humbuckers????) then they will hum if the humbuckers aren't split correctly, or split at all.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I understand a bit how it's meant. I was just surprised, because i didn't expect that!
        If i split two humbucker and want to have them free of hum, when parallel then one humbucker must be splitted at hot and the other at ground... I just wanted to split both on ground (easier to wire) AND having both coils free of hum.
        Is there no possibilty?
        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

I understand a bit how it's meant. I was just surprised, because i didn't expect that!
          If i split two humbucker and want to have them free of hum, when parallel then one humbucker must be splitted at hot and the other at ground... I just wanted to split both on ground (easier to wire) AND having both coils free of hum.
          Is there no possibilty?
          You can use to ground splits, but you can't run the *tap*lines together because it will join the two pups. You gotta use the red and white wires on one as your hot and ground, and the black and green as your *tap*line ... that will let you use ground taps for both.
          What do you mean by three humbuckers, are you trying to do this with a
          H/H, H/S/H, or H/H/H guitar?

Comment

The guitar i tried this was a H-H-H guitar. I Wanted to use ONE switch for splitting ALL PU's. Maybe it#s as you saied. I connected the TAP wires at the free un-used side of the 5 way switch, with a push-pull pot i activated a connection to the ground. It was meant to be, that in each position of the 5-way the activated humbucker is splitted. I Think in Position 2 & 4 the TAP lines of 2 humbuckers ran together and then i got this result.
            The other guitar where i want to try this is a H-H Setup with toggle switch.

Comment

The guitar i tried this was a H-H-H guitar. I Wanted to use ONE switch for splitting ALL PU's. Maybe it#s as you saied. I connected the TAP wires at the free un-used side of the 5 way switch, with a push-pull pot i activated a connection to the ground. It was meant to be, that in each position of the 5-way the activated humbucker is splitted. I Think in Position 2 & 4 the TAP lines of 2 humbuckers ran together and then i got this result.
              The other guitar where i want to try this is a H-H Setup with toggle switch.
              I thought you were talking about having three coils on at one time ... you can't have three coils like that ... you'll either have two norths and a south, or two souths and a north ... you need an even set of each.
              Now on an H/H run your bridge normal (black +, red and white as TAP, green to ground), run your neck pup red +, green and black as TAP, white to ground Then you can use a DPDT switch to activate the ground tap. Use one half of the switch for one pup and the other half of the switch for the other.
              Concerning the three pups you can do it, but not with a 5 way switch, as you have to reverse the tap of the middle pup from a hot tap to a ground tap depending which pup it's joined with at the time.

Comment

Before i tried this switching for the H-H-H guitar, i used one "big" switch for splitting, then 3! mini-Switches and had 4! holes in the guitar. Then i thought i could do this with a push-pull-pot... At the moment the guitar stands at the corner WITHOUT pickups, like a lot of others, where i can't decide what to use...

Comment

Working...
                X