banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STAGMAG USERS!!! With which strat pup do you compare the split tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAGMAG USERS!!! With which strat pup do you compare the split tone?

After considering many different options I have decided to tranform my 59/JB in a clear machine! Do you know what kind of strat tone am I going to get split? I am very curious!

I guess will be more related to an alnico pro that to a "new" vintage alnico 5...

Re: STAGMAG USERS!!! With which strat pup do you compare the split tone?

its kinda a cross between a aps1 and ssl5 i guess. its been a while since ive heard one but thats my recollection

Comment

I could imagine an APS 1 would be close, because the Stag Mag uses Alnico2 mags, which makes the split tone a bit softer and rounder. I think a Stag Mag with A-5 would be too bright for a humbucker in series mode, so this might be the reason.
      I like the Stag Mag in the neck position, because it's something between a sweet Paf and a clear single coil. Like a single-coil, just louder and smoother (and hum-free) or like a PAF, just more articulate. Very underrated as a neck humbucker.
      Of course, it should used with a bridge-humbucker with moderate/high output.
      Pickups... the final frontier.
      These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
      Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

hey! That was also my thought :-)
        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

before the stagmag, there was "the mag" or something like that, that used alnico 5 magnets

Comment

Was this the SH 2.5 :-)
            I guess it has been too bright for a humbucker, especially in the bridge position.
            There might be a reson that it disappeared.

Comment

Right now, I have a 59n/Stag Mag in one of my Peavey's, with the option to select either coil of the SM. I like it, but its not my favorite. I don't find the SM to be all that usable on its own. However, as an augment to the 59, its great. It just brings in a little clarity and chime to the 59.

I'll see if I can post a couple clips when I get home.

Edit: I should add here, that I use this in a home studio, through an amp modeler, into a mixing board.
              The results through a real amp might be completely different.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-30-2004, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I'd like to record and post a clip with a Stag Mag neck, but don't know how...

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
                  I'd like to record and post a clip with a Stag Mag neck, but don't know how...
                  Don't you have a PC? Probabely it also has a sound card... Buy a decent microphone and get yourself an recording solware. Plug the microphone to the sound card and place it in front of your amp. Push the rec button... and feel free to do whatever you like.

If you what to put your recorded tracks somewhere people can hear it I recomend you to get an account at:

You can upload songs of 10Mb or less (more than enought!!)

About the recording sofware... There are a few theads in the Tips and Clips section. You can use the search function to find them.

Comment

About the STAG MAG's!! Thanks for the info!!! Now I am really looking forward for those clips...

See you in the tips and clips section!!!

Comment

I must be getting senile. I posted this last week.

59 / Stag Mag demo

BTW - those are all chords. I suppose I could post some leads too, if you want.
                      I'm just not that good.

Comment

C'on Artie!! It is not about technnique... It is feeling, mojo or whatever...

Comment

I think I'm finally figuring out why I'm so wishy-washy about whether or not I like these Stag Mags. They seem to be extremely sensitive to how the amp is set. (Amp modelor, in this case, but same dif.) Now the thing sounds full and chimey like its supposed to. It does sound cool on its own.

But I will say this, even though it appears to have been built as a bridge pickup, I think it sounds better at the neck. Its almost too bright at the bridge. I'll have to play around with this some more.

Comment

I don't understand why it's only recommended for the bridge position.
                            Maybe it's thought for a S-S-S setup, wehre you can switch the brigde PU as a HB.
                            (Or a H-S-S setup where you can get a real S-S-S setup). I think of the stagmag as 2 single-Coils in series.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
                              I think of the stagmag as 2 single-Coils in series.
                              Funny you should say that. I've got a spare laying around. And I've been wanting to upgrade my cheapy Strat without spending too much.

And the DC resistance of the SM is 16.2k with Alnico II mags - which pretty much makes it two Alnico II Pro staggered single coils . . . hmmm . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X