banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500k pots with cools rails & vintage rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500k pots with cools rails & vintage rails?

Hey guys, looking to possibly replace the pots in my strat this weekend. I've got an SH-4 in the bridge, with which I assume I would want 500k pots (the guitar currently still has the original 250k pots, which I am going to replace regardless). I've got a Cool Rails in the neck and a Vintage Rails in the middle. Are these pups going to be alright with 500k pots, or should I stick with 250k?
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: 500k pots with cools rails & vintage rails?

Use 250K on the tone and a 500K on the volume.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

If it was me, I would go 500k on the tone also. Remember, a Cool Rails and Vintage Rails are both still dual-coil humbuckers. They just look like singles.
      Having a 250k tone pot is exactly the same thing as having a 500k tone pot turned down to "5".

You can always turn the 500 down. You can't turn the 250 back up.

One more thing - Beandip may actually have experience with these pups. I'm just thinking about having experience with them.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-30-2004, 03:25 PM.

Comment

yeah, even though they're twin coils, they can still be pretty bright. I'm not worried about using a 500K on the coolrails, but it could prove too much on the vintage rails. If you plan on using stock strat wiring, only use a 250k on the vintage rails, and 500K on the rest. that should work out pretty good.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait for my new Peavey Gen to get in, so I can actually try the CR/VR's.

Comment

I only have experience with the CR. It didn't brighten up that much with the 500k tone pot. I have HR/CR/HR and 500k push/pull pots throughout. Frankly, I think I like all three better with the 500k (and I LIKE dark tones). I believe it added some harmonic response to the pups, definitely in the CR. I really fell in love with the CR AFTER I changed the pots.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
            X