Not enough sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough sustain?

I have 3 Les Paul my latest has Seymour DD in bridge and 59 in neck. The guitar is a trip though it is super freakin light. And is quite dark sounding. I went through some pickups and finally choose the DD. Problem is I can't get enough sustain out of my guitar. With the original pickups burstbuckers I had loads and pinch harmonics easy. For some reason I can't get a good long sustain like my other 2 guitars. I mean the tone is good but not singing enough... to me that is. I raised the pickup height and all?
    I am kid of contemplating trying EMG in this guitar also. Kinda don't wanta since my other guitar has them.

Re: Not enough sustain?

the DD's big ceramic magnet is a lot more powerful than the (i think) A5's in the Burstbuckers, so that is one possible reason. Especially if the DD is too close to the strings, the magnet's pull might be affecting your sustain. Also, you just may not like how the DD interacts with the guitar, or maybe you haven't found the 'sweet spot' yet. That is, of course, all speculation on my part.

Comment

It may be your LP's frets that's causing the sustain issue. Do u mean chords or notes high on the neck?

I have a dd in my paul and it sings like nigel's from spinal tap.

Comment

Hi I mean notes on the upper neck as in solos

Comment

Did it have sustain prior to the SDs? I thought all LPs had tons of sustain, what with the set neck, angled headstock and the TOM/stop tailpiece. What gives?
          Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
          ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
          ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
          ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
          ESP KH-1
          LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
          BC Rich KKV
          Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
          Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

In most cases, sustain is dependent on a properly built guitar with a good setup. But if it was fine before you swapped pickups, the problem is most likely that the pickup is too close to the strings. As others have mentioned, the large ceramic magnet is pretty strong, and if you get it too close to the strings it will pull on them, decreasing your sustain. Try lowering the pickup a bit and see if that helps.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I lowered them slightly and there is a difference. Seems to sustain a bit longer and also I can pinch harmonic easier also?
              thanks

Comment

Working...
              X