Howto guide to swapping magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howto guide to swapping magnets?

I was reading with interest this thread about putting an A8 into a Pearly Gates:

Could anyone point out a link/webpage that details how to swap magnets in a humbucker?

Re: Howto guide to swapping magnets?

Unless the pickup has a metal cover the swap is a snap. The cover does requite a little more work but is still no biggie.
    Just turn the pickup over and loosen the 4 phillips head screws that hold the bobbins to the baseplate. Once you have the screws loosened take a small screwdriver and carefully pry up the bobbins but watch for the coil wires that will be on the opposite end from the connecting leads. If you break one of those the pickup is toast. You can also carefully puss the screws through the base plate to lift the bobbins. Again just be carefull and understand you don't have to raise the bobbins by much to have room to slip the mag out.
    Once you get the bobbins up a little slip the small screwdriver under the tape on the opposite side from the connecting leads. Again be carefull not to nick the coil wires. In the center of the pickup between the coils is the magnet and it should slip out pretty easily. Make shure the polarity of the mag that you swap in is in the same direction as the one that came out. Remember like poles repell opposites attract. Just slip the new mag in and button it up by retightening the bobbin screws and you're done .
    So far I have not had any need to remelt the potting wax. Even with me using the flamethrower Prosonic at higer volumes I have not seen any feedback issues so far.
    Good luck!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

There is this...

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Thanks Ayrton and Ascension!

Comment

And you don't need to physically take the coils off, just loosen them enough to push the magnet out with a screwdriver or something like that.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

BTW, Gibson pickups' baseplates are threaded, so just loosening the four bottom screws will not work, you'll have to raise all the adjustment screws quite a bit to swap the magnet on a Gibson humbucker.
            Guitars (from favorite to less favorite):Parker Fly Deluxe, "Frankenstrat":B.C.Rich neck+Shamray CS body, Orville by Gibson Black Beauty Reissue, Steinberger GSXSTD

Pickups I currently own: Custom wound pickups a la Dimarzio VPAF/VHPAF with mismatched coils and Alnico2 magnets, Shadow SH-EQ5, SH-663 actives, Gibson '57 Classics and Burstbuckers

Pickups I tried and sold: SD Hot Rails, Invader, Gibson 496R, 500T, EMG 89, 89R, Dimarzio AirNorton, Norton, ToneZone, AirZone, Parker Fly Customs.

Comment

Working...
            X