Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much does a pickup last/live?

Oh, lmao!!! . sorry about that.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe
      Of some interest to someone I'm sure, but a lot of the old pickups in 50's Fenders are dying off due to the chemical interaction between the metals of the magnets and the coils. The older coil windings weren't coated with a wax or lacquer, so the raw wire deteriorates. Different composition of the metal from that period may also be a factor.

This is the post that got me thinking we were talking about 50's Fender pickups. I should sleep before posting.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Dude, I thought we were too, but then somehow the WR buckers got brought in, so it changed, I guess.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
          Dude, I thought we were too, but then somehow the WR buckers got brought in, so it changed, I guess.
          Boston Joe brought up the '50's thing, we were talking about alnico 5 and ceramic magnets, and their lifetime ... ceramics weren't around commercially in the 50's ... I don't think they came out until later 60s (Lew what say you on this? ) therefore the post started in regard to those two magnet types.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            Boston Joe brought up the '50's thing, we were talking about alnico 5 and ceramic magnets, and their lifetime ... ceramics weren't around commercially in the 50's ... I don't think they came out until later 60s (Lew what say you on this? ) therefore the post started in regard to those two magnet types.

Sorry about that-- it just seemed like a cool little fact/rumor to be aware of. Seemed relevant to the lifespan question posed earlier. I would really enjoy owning a nice old 50's Strat (those kind you see in guitar books and are out of the reach of mortal men), but I would really appreciate knowing ahead of time if the pickups were ready to give out -- I suppose that may be why so few seem to exist.

Comment

What would a pickup sound like if all the insulation was stripped off the wire I wonder. hmmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                What would a pickup sound like if all the insulation was stripped off the wire I wonder. hmmmm.....

You don't think it would just short out?
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

it might, or it might not. It could only be like .000000001k or it could be 1000000K, ya never know. oh, and incase you didnt know, I'm not physics dude.

Comment

It depends on where the coil , and how much of it shorts out, many times they will go open, but when open it may still produce a small and weak signal. A short though across the majority of the coil, or from start across to the finish can render them completely dead ... if it does produce a signal at all it will be real weak, and thin sounding.
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Damn, I was hoping for something cool like the strongest pickup in the world. Next to the BIG one of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X