X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a pickup last/live?

I'm interested to know about Alnico 5 and Ceramic pickups life time

Re: How much does a pickup last/live?

Bill Lawrence says that an Alnico 5 magnet loses about 5% of it's power in a 100 years. Ceramics are even more permanent.

If this is true, you'll probably die before your pickup does.
    "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
    "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Pups won't die unless either the magnet gets demagnetized (not a likely occurance), or the coils get physically damaged, the get a tiny bit weaker and a bit mellower sounding with age, because of the magnet losing some strength ... but even that is so subtle that one might not notice it unless there was a new/old A/B test.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Of some interest to someone I'm sure, but a lot of the old pickups in 50's Fenders are dying off due to the chemical interaction between the metals of the magnets and the coils. The older coil windings weren't coated with a wax or lacquer, so the raw wire deteriorates. Different composition of the metal from that period may also be a factor.

Comment

Interesting ... I've seen some old ones, but didn't know they were problematic ... They did use an oddball alloy to make the polepieces, I'm wondering if the magnets were done with something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            Interesting ... I've seen some old ones, but didn't know they were problematic ... They did use an oddball alloy to make the polepieces, I'm wondering if the magnets were done with something similar.
            Ummmm, if I'm not mistaken, in all Fender pickups from the 50's , the magnets ARE the polepieces.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              Ummmm, if I'm not mistaken, in all Fender pickups from the 50's , the magnets ARE the polepieces.
              Although I've never taken one apart, I'm pretty sure that the Fender humbucker had a bar magnet, although the poles were made from some weird alloy (CuNiFe I think) ... could be, I always assumed it was a bar magnet under the bobbins, never took the cover off of one to find out.

Comment

There was a Fender 'bucker in the 50's? I thought those came along sometime in the 60's.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Actually, the first Fender bucker debuted on the 72 Tele.
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26

There was a Fender 'bucker in the 50's? I thought those came along sometime in the 60's.
                    We were talking about the Fender humbucker though, I don't know where the '50's referrence came from ... Or at least I was, because ceramics didn't come along until later ... so I think the conversation kinda split into two paths. Yeah, a lot of the older pups are still just fine though. Coils corroding due to beer, and other contaminations would be physical damage, as it causes them to short out ... plus the question qwas about present days pups (or ,again, at least that's the way I interpreted it). I had heard one ot two rumours concerning the first couple of FWR pups from Fender that were along a similar line .... but I didn't know for sure.

Comment

The first Fender Wide Range buckers are built like modern days, two coils, bar mag.
                      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                        The first Fender Wide Range buckers are built like modern days, two coils, bar mag.
                        Yeah , but were the coils coated with anything to protect them from liquids and such getting down inside the covers. Even if potted I'm assuming you could get some bad chemical reactions in there from beer, soda, sweat, maybe even a little blood now and then ... oh look ... they've got chicken wire ...

Comment

Enamal, and covered w/ the nickel metal things.

Comment

Wait, does liquid have anything to do w/ a magnets life? I dunno, so I'm asking.

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                              Enamal, and covered w/ the nickel metal things.
                              Well, I realize that the wire is insulated so that it can work as a coil ...

Comment

Working...
                              X