7-string single coil recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-string single coil recommendations?

I have a Carvin DC-747 7string, strat style, Floyd Rose. Recently I put a SD Custom humbucker at the neck, and a JB at the bridge. I'd like to get another Duncan pup for the single coil in the middle. 7-string single-coil pickups are custom order only. I'd like something with a little pop to it, for funk rhythm, etc., but something that won't be too weak compared to the humbuckers. I'm thinking of the Quarter Pound Flat at this point, unless anyone has any better ideas. TIA. Adam

Re: 7-string single coil recommendations?

Did your DC747 come with coil splitting switches? I think a middle SC pup would kind of give you the same tones as either the neck or bridge pup split. Too similar to make any real tonal differences. BTW- How's the guitar? I was seriously considering having one made recently. Did you find out what they're asking for a custom 7 string sc single coil pup? Again, the cost may not be worth what you ultimately end up with.

Welcome aboard! Always good to see another 7 stringer on the forum!
    Last edited by 7th Hell; 08-02-2004, 10:16 PM.
    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
    ESP KH-1
    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
    BC Rich KKV
    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

The DC747 is far and away the nicest electric I've had the pleasure of playing. The 25.5" scale and the rest of the geometry makes for an axe that plays like a dream. I got walnut body, 1/2" figured walnut top (awesome piece) and laminated maple-walnut neck. The guitar naturally has scooped mids, sounds nice and dark, just my thing. I've owned a couple of Carvins and each time when I change pickups (to Duncans, though I did splurge on some Joe Bardens once, tappable humbuckers, very sweet) I notice a distinct improvement. I figured since the single is in 3 out of 5 positions, it's probably the most important pup to improve. Last time I checked with SD I think they said around $100 for a custom 7-string single. They're on vacation until next week, so I won't know for sure until then.

Comment

I believe Dimarzio, Anderson, and Rio Grande make 7 string single coils, too.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...n/7VS1-01.html I only found one review of one.
        ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

I've looked at the Rio Grande pickups for a while. Warmoth sells them, which makes me trust them a bit. But, having only read one review ever, I'm reluctant to give it a whirl. I've always been happy with Seymour Duncan, Basslines and guitar.

Comment

I'd love to see pics of your Carvin! I love figured walnut.

Comment

Here's a pic. The tone emanates from the center of the tree trunk :-)

You can see it at www.adamgottschalk.net/dc747.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X