MusicMan Alvin Lee model pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MusicMan Alvin Lee model pickups

I'm getting a set of pickups out of a Music Man Alvin Lee sig. model. I know these are basically APS pickups in the neck and middle and similar to the Twangbanger in the bridge. I was wondering how close to the Twangbanger it really is. Also, how do you think they will sound in a basswood body with a rosewood on maple fingerboard and a 6 point Fender trem?

Thanks for the replies, y'all.
    Last edited by Benjy_26; 08-02-2004, 09:23 PM.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: MusicMan Alvin Lee model pickups

They'll sound great. They're APS-2's I think, w/ a baseplate on all of 'em. And the bridge wound a little hotter.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Benji,

You're actually speaking of the Albert Lee model.

It has three APS-2's in it. The bridge pickup is actually not wound hotter than the neck and middle pickups. The neck and bridge pickups have this little metal strip attached to their bases; not quite like the copper-plated steel baseplates under most vintage-type Tele bridge pickups or the TWang Banger. Because of the windings, I would say that the APS-2 in the bridge position of the MM Albert Lee model isn't really close to a Twang Banger. It's more like an Alnico II Pro Tele bridge pickup.
      Last edited by BS123; 08-03-2004, 06:25 AM.
      -Butch Snyder
      butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Dude, by all means, listen to Butch. I was going on the info tha He gave me, so I'm not the expert in this situation.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

[QUOTE=BS123]Benji,

QUOTE]

You're right!

It had been a long day.

Thanks for the info gents.

Comment

[QUOTE=Benjy_26]
            Originally posted by BS123
            Benji,

QUOTE]

You're right!

It had been a long day.

Thanks for the info gents.
            Not a problem. Sorry I misspelled your name...
            -Butch Snyder
            butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
              Not a problem. Sorry I misspelled your name...

It happens to the best of us, Butch.

Comment

Butch is correct... I had a set and they were VERY NICE... but... the Twangbanger is a different beast entirely... more like the Jerry Donahue Tele pickup or a vintage P-90
                GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
                  Butch is correct... I had a set and they were VERY NICE... but... the Twangbanger is a different beast entirely... more like the Jerry Donahue Tele pickup or a vintage P-90

I'll be getting them today!

What do you guys think I should be expecting in a basswood strat with a rosewood fretboard and a vintage style trem (MIJ 60's RI photo flame strat)?

Comment

I would say the tone will be warmer and not quite as snappy as with ash; which the Albert Lee guitar is made. But, not dark though...
                    -Butch Snyder
                    butchsnyder.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys!

Comment

Ok, I finally put them in my strat and I love 'em! They sound a bit thcker than the Fender 62's I had in there, with more mids, smoother highs, and cleaner lows. They also seem to have less output at the same height as the other pickups, though this might be only in my head because they sound so much smoother. They still retain a nice chime, and when driven hard, the bridge pickup snarls, the mid clancks, and the neck has a nice, throaty grind that's very sweet.

Butch, you said that the bridge pos. isn't wound any hotter, but it seems that way to me. Also, my set only has a plate at the bridge pickup. Maybe the specs change in time. I beleive my set was made in 94. That's what stamped at the bottom of each pickup, anyway. Also, the poles have a very slight stagger to them, they are almost flat. Is this normal?

Regardless, I love the sound of these pickups. I think they are staying in my strat for a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X