Could a tele pup fit into strat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a tele pup fit into strat.

I'm talking about the bridge position I know that the holes where you mount the bridge pup in the bridge of a tele won't work with a strat, but could I drill holes in my pickguard and have it sit there? Is there enough room behind the single coil bridge position on a standard SSS pickguard to drill those two holes where the bridge side of the pup is held? . Maybe I could turn the tele bridge pup backwards and drill the single hole closest to the bridge position. BTW if body cavity size comes into play mine is routed for HSH. If you have any input please share!
    Last edited by brinton; 08-03-2004, 02:09 PM.
    Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
    JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
    Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
    Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby
    Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Re: Could a tele pup fit into strat.

it will fit in a HSH strat. Instead of drilling new holes and whatnot, and possibly a little routing on the pickguard, go to Warmoth or Allparts or WD Music, and buy a pickguard that's alread cut for a Tele bridge pickup.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

It might not even work in a strat with a bridge humbucker. It'd definatly work with a swimming pool rout.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Yes it is possible. To see click here. A fralin blues special in the bridge, strat van zandt vintage + in the neck and middle. With a miniswitch I can activate the bridge pickup in any position.

No, it would not fit even into a HB routing. You need to carve a little wood under the hood around the lower corner of the tele lead pickup. But it would fit reversed, or "woodstocked", referring to the reverse stagger strat single coils trying to emulate Hendrix' tone.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Lets say I get a hot for tele and have it "woodstocked" that would work huh. BTW do the tele leads all come in symetrical staggers or flat or what? I just did a contact us to SD for a tone craving. I'm looking for something similar to the twangbanger (I got Dimarzio's Red Velvet which is great) except with fatter mids and and still all the high end. I could just see it now.

The APSTJB (or something) So you want the twangy muscular punch of a Tele, the chimey bell-tone "quack" of a strat, and the thick squaky mids of our popular JB, no need to carry around three guitars. The APSTJB is designed to give your strat a big fat harmonic-rich twangy midrangey boost where you need. With the APSTJB you get the best of all worlds tele-strat-humbuckers.
          DC Resistance 11.4k ohms
          Resonant Peak 4.9KHz

Oh man silly gooses
          Last edited by brinton; 08-03-2004, 03:19 PM.
          Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
          JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
          Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
          Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
          Dunlop Classic Crybaby
          Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

Depends on the tele lead pickup. Some are flat, some are with G and D raised, I guess there won't any major problems and differences with those.

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
              Yes it is possible. To see click here. A fralin blues special in the bridge, strat van zandt vintage + in the neck and middle. With a miniswitch I can activate the bridge pickup in any position. B
              Hey Doc, that Strat is seriously cool. How does the bridge pickup sound? There is a growing debate in several circles that the reason the Tele bridge pickup sounds the way it does is because it's diectly connected to the bridge. Well, Tom Anderson, Melencon, Reverend, & others mount their Tele bridge pickups like you did and they sound great.
              -Butch Snyder
              butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It sounds really good, especially because that is my best sounding strat among the 3 I have. It sounds just like an excellent broadcaster kinda tele lead position. I suppose as you say the spank and punch could increase in the bridge of a real tele, yet the tele I have (accomodating a JD) is hard ash body maple neck. JD was the winner on that tele . So a comparison to that tele lead position would not be fair, as I would not know if the difference comes from the bridge or the body.

When I compared the fralin to the JD on the bridge of my tele, JD sounded more like a tele, with more spank, more punch, and no icepickiness at all. Fralin was deeper, was more throaty but still had that a5 highs. On the strat I don't hear them a5 highs that much (but the other "nice" characteristics of the fralin is there). Maybe be that's exactly the bridge issue. But could be the rosewood neck, or the body wood. Who knows?

B
                Last edited by dr.barlo; 08-04-2004, 08:38 AM.

Comment

So a Tele pickup still sounds better in a Tele?
                  -Butch Snyder
                  butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

I agree. My tele sounds more tele than that strat of mine. But I would bet on my strat (to be more tele ) when comparing against alder rosewood teles.

B

Comment

Dr. B,

I think another factor of the tele tone vs. the strat has to do with the fixed bridge vs. the tremolo.
                      Did you have to rout the pickguard as well as the body to fit the tele pickup?
                      roy
                      royd
                      http://www.soundclick.com/alexisd
                      "once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"
                      David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Comment

Originally posted by royd
                        Dr. B,

I think another factor of the tele tone vs. the strat has to do with the fixed bridge vs. the tremolo.
                        Did you have to rout the pickguard as well as the body to fit the tele pickup?
                        roy
                        Of course the bridge is a very big part of the whole equation.

I drilled 3 holes through my warmoth (brown-tortoise) pickguard. I still have the 2 strat holes, just in case you know.

B

Comment

Working...
                        X