Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Phase Single Coil

Hi,

I have a strat that I built with a Fender Highway 1 body and a warmouth neck. Originally I had all Duncans in it but I really like the tone of a Torres neck single coil that I have so I combined that with the SSL-1 RW/RP middle and the SSL-5 bridge. The combo sounds great until you combine the neck and middle position, then it is out of phase. Does this mean that the Torres is wound differently than the Duncans? If so, is there anything that can be done to get it "in phase" with the other pick-up?

Let me know if you have any ideas
    Peavey Classic 30 with Celestion G12H30
    Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 / SD Pickup Booster
    1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio- Custom (b) 59 (A4) (n)
    2001 58 Gibson Les Paul Reissue- 50th Anniv Seth Lover Set
    2002 Gibson Gary Moore Signature Les Paul- Stock
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard- Antiquity Set
    2001 Gibson ES335- 57 Classics
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Jr.- Antiquity Dog Ear
    Highway-1 (parts-o-caster)- Antiquity Texas Hot set
    Highway-1 (parts-o-Tele)- Antiquity Set

Re: Out of Phase Single Coil

switch the leads of the Torres pickup
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

What Beandip said.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

wow, it's that easy? I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks

Comment

It's not always that easy. Your ground lead on the Torres pickup is probably also connected to the baseplate and making the baseplate hot can add alot of noise to your guitar.

What you really need to do is get the rw/rp version of the Torres pickup.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I thought it might not be that easy. I'll give it a shot and then see what the noise is like. If I get the RW/RP Torres then I will out of phase when I use the bridge an middle, so I'd have to get the whole set I guess.

Why don't all manufacturers wind the same direction? Is that a trick to get you to buy an entire set from them? Or is one more traditional or vintage than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by badco33
              I thought it might not be that easy. I'll give it a shot and then see what the noise is like. If I get the RW/RP Torres then I will out of phase when I use the bridge an middle, so I'd have to get the whole set I guess.

Why don't all manufacturers wind the same direction? Is that a trick to get you to buy an entire set from them? Or is one more traditional or vintage than the other?
              Pup companies wound whichever way they wanted to and still do, it doesn't make a pup sound different one direction or the other ...same with magnetic polarites ... It's just a matter of how one pup relates with another when on together ... remember the original singles didn't have RW/RP singles, but you could still get a pup out of phase if you used another brand along with it, or even a different model from the same company ...
              It's not a trick, it's just not engraved in stone to do it one way or the other. Also in regard to what Robert said, reassigning the ground to a sheilded cover or to a baseplate is easy enough ... and swapping the leads will reverse the phase ... but the magnet must be of opposite polarity to hum-cancel when combined with another. This is why humbuckers were invented in the first place ... It's no trick and you don't need to get a new set, just disconnect the wire from the baseplate and or sheilded cover,a run a knew wire to those and to ground, then you can swap your hot and cold coil leads.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                Pup companies wound whichever way they wanted to and still do, it doesn't make a pup sound different one direction or the other ...same with magnetic polarites ... It's just a matter of how one pup relates with another when on together ... remember the original singles didn't have RW/RP singles, but you could still get a pup out of phase if you used another brand along with it, or even a different model from the same company ...
                It's not a trick, it's just not engraved in stone to do it one way or the other. Also in regard to what Robert said, reassigning the ground to a sheilded cover or to a baseplate is easy enough ... and swapping the leads will reverse the phase ... but the magnet must be of opposite polarity to hum-cancel when combined with another. This is why humbuckers were invented in the first place ... It's no trick and you don't need to get a new set, just disconnect the wire from the baseplate and or sheilded cover,a run a knew wire to those and to ground, then you can swap your hot and cold coil leads.
                I'm having the same scenario right now by using a Twangbanger in the bridge with a Surfer rwrp in the middle...I'm going to put my black wire to hot now(The switch) and move the white wire to ground...I'll then solder my baseplate wire to the white side so the baseplate is grounded correctly...That should fix my polarity issues...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                X