Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old EVH interview...mentions Duncans

From here:

I found this interesting because usually the topic of company integrity comes up here every so often on topics such as Dimarzio double cremes and what not.....:

EVH: No kidding! It looks like a Strat, but it only has one pickup in it, one volume knob, no tone, no fancy garbage. It's painted the way I like 'em, and it's rear-loaded - you know, it doesn't have a pickguard. I'm not saying my guitar is "Wow, the new guitar," but it is a guitar that you could not at the time buy on the market. This guy kind of exploited my idea, so I'm suing him. See, I feel kind of ****ed doing that, but all I want him to do is stop. I don't give a damn about the money. But the main reason I did that was to have something that no one else had. You know, I wanted it to be my guitar, an extension of myself. Just the other night - Christmans Eve - I went to the Whiskey. A band called Weasels was playing, and the lead guitarist had a guitar exactly like mine. I just don't understand how someone could walk onstage with my guitar, because it's my trademark. You know, when people see a freaked-out striped guitar like that, with one pickup, one volume knob, they obviously know it's mine.

GP: There goes your identity.

EVH: Yeah. And also, him selling it and advertising, makes it seem to the fans like I'm selling myself. They don't know that I'm against it. They think that I'm out for the bucks. That's not it at all. So it's kind of a drag. There's another guy too...See, I've rewound my own pickups before, and a guy named Seymour Duncan, I got pissed at him too. He called me up and said, "Can we use your name for a special pickup?" And I said no. Next time I pick up Guitar Player magazine, there's a special Van Halen model customized Duncan pickup. I called him up and said, "What the hell's goin' on?" So he stopped finally. It's just kind of weird you know.

GP: You're getting exploited.

Re: Old EVH interview...mentions Duncans

I find it ironic that a guy who's lied his @$$ off in so many interviews gets off dissing other folks' ethics. He's a great guitarist who IMHO had a lot of issues back in the day and still has most of 'em today.

If he worried half as much about making great music as he did about who was playing and making striped one-pickup guitars, VH would still be a great band instead of a band whose best work was a couple decades in the past.
    Last edited by aleclee; 08-04-2004, 03:09 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

Oh who cares??

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
        I find it ironic that a guy who's lied his @$$ off in so many interviews gets off dissing other folks' ethics. He's a great guitarist who IMHO had a lot of issues back in the day and still has most of 'em today.

If he worried half as much about making great music as he did about who was playing and making striped one-pickup guitars, VH would still be a great band instead of a band whose best work was a couple decades in the past.

Yeah, EVH should understand that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. However, with various companies trying to make a buck off his name....I can side with him on that one.

Comment

So what was it about Kramer, Ernie Ball, Peavey, Charvel, etc that made him change his mind?
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete
            So what was it about Kramer, Ernie Ball, Peavey, Charvel, etc that made him change his mind?

$$$$$
            My Sound Clips

Comment

your absolutely superpete and jeff. It's funny how quickly a person will change there mind when offered the right amount of doe "It's not about the money", that's like if john kerry were to say he was a conservative.
              Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
              The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

That interview was from what.....1979?

Does it surprise you that changed his mind more than half a decade later?

Even when he was endorsing Kramers, they didn't have his paint job. Same for EBMM and Peavey. Either way, it's different than what Wayne Charvel was doing, because those other companies HAD his approval.

He has the right to control things that are particular to him, especially in a business where style is almost as important as substance, things that DEFINE him by their very nature of being created BY him.

He's guilty of quite a bit, IMO, but endorsing guitars & amps is a no-brainer.

Comment

I wonder why Seymour tried to use his name to sell pickups though without his permission...that seems strange??

Comment

I'd like to see the ad or article that EVH read and made him pissed-off. If it was actually Guitar Player magazine, I'm sure that there would be an archive of it somewhere. Anyone out there seen it?
                    My Gear:
                    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

It's all BS anyway. He was going to Charvel in San Dimas back in the 80's, seeing Grover, and at the same time Grover was cranking out the Yellow/Black Eddie Charvel. (Not Wayne, even though Eddie tries to revise history for his buddies). Even funnier, they were slapping Duncans in those guitars like they were the greatest thing on earth - you think Eddie didn't understand that part? HE HAD ONE OF THE FREAKING GUITARS, and Grover gave it to him, and it had a DUNCAN pickup. And, at the same time, Grover was repairing Eddie's Les Paul. All of a sudden though, Grover gets a gigantic Guitar Center distribution deal... and steps up production like gangbusters.

I don't know if this next part is fact, because it is just a surmisal on the rest of above (which I was there to witness that stuff), but I think Eddie suddenly wanted big $$$. At the same time Grover was getting sued by Fender for using their headstock. I was in the front office one day when I think they were talking excitedly in Grover's office (enough so that Joanne asked me to leave). The scuttlebut was that Eddie wanted a big slice of the dough.

The point of this little bit of history, is everything I know of his relationship with Charvel has been in Eddie's versions SERIOUSLY revised. He makes it seem as if people were just off building his stuff, "exploiting him." LOL. Now get this... he goes to Kramer, and who rips off who? Eddie and Kramer rip-off Charvel. All to build "Eddie's Guitar." Such horse-puck. They're suddenly building very Charvel-like guitars, following the lead on the new Jackson style sloped headstock (since Charvel was under a restraining order from Fender, and had to switch). Then Eddie wants more money, dumps Kramer, and claims "I never knew they were built in Japan." Righhttttt.....

Eddie is a born liar, and thinks that he can just revise history to victimize himself, and justify any deal he makes. Then he thinks we will all forget the BS he spread in these stupid interviews.

Meanwhile people like Grover get screwed on all sides, and we, the players, lose out on great products.

Thanks Eddie. Why don't you just shut up and play yer guitar?

Comment

Well said Burnin up,

I guess you never really know how many brews Ed has under his belt at any given time.

You can't really believe everything he's quoted as saying.

I must admit it makes interesting reading, but it's all just savy marketing from Ed's team of assistants. I can just see them saying "How can we generate some interest in the new VH best of CD & 2004 tour, hmmm, feel like changing guitar's Ed?"

To me, the core of any story/press release/cheap marketing stunt about EVH always comes back to the fact that he's my number 1 guitar influence. The guy is fantastic guitarist/muscian/composer, a virtuoso, an icon. He has left a legacy that is absolutely staggering. I wonder how many people picked up the guitar because of EVH?

And the reality is, the whole guitar industry and it's satelite industries owes Ed a massive amount. The huge mainstream interest he created in 'hot rod' guitars in the late 70's early 80's is a fact. Where would Charvel/Jackson or Kramer be without him in the first place. Probably still making plain old strat knock off's like the Japanese companies. Things like the 'floyd', 'humbuckers in strats', 'high gain amps', are all here because of Ed. They may of turned up later, but when? and in which form?, all these guitar and amp mod's were done by EVH and not 'in association' with any company or custom shop.

I doubt Ed owns any patents of these ideas so I can understand how he'd feel a bit used and abused by guitar companies that have tried to exploit his name in the past.

I'd say Ed got wise after his dealings with Chavel.

You can't blame him for not giving a s@#t about brand loyalty and going for the cash.

Comment

I don't blame him for anything but slandering good people like Seymour and Grover - two people who in my book have worked hard to bring great products to the public.

I gotta say - I was in the scene in the late seventies in S Cal, and it was bursting with talent - They were not the only band, and there was a lot happening. Eddie didn't come out of a vaccuum - he was born of that environment. So just as he can whine about what he did for the industry, the industry and the club scene in LA and San Francisco did it for him too. It's a two way street. I lived in South Pasadena, and my friends I were tweaking our gear anyway possible to get better sounds. There is a major role that the music scene plays in bands - something some people seem to forget or ignore.

No gripes with VH, I just think he needs to recognize that he didn't invent rock-n-roll, and stop pissing in everybody's porridge.

//RANT OFF

Comment

Originally posted by Burnin_UP
                            Even funnier, they were slapping Duncans in those guitars like they were the greatest thing on earth - you think Eddie didn't understand that part? HE HAD ONE OF THE FREAKING GUITARS, and Grover gave it to him, and it had a DUNCAN pickup.

But playing a guitar with a Duncan pickup doesn't imply permission to have his named used for advertisements.

Maybe I'm missing something and I know EVH is out there and paranoid but this still just doesnt' seem right to me.

Comment

I was speaking to what he did to Grover Jackson and Charvel - whom he accused of the same sort of crud, and then seriously revised and distorted what happened. He made it sound thereafter like Charvel was just out there with no involvement from him building "Eddie" guitars. He did it particularly to make his endorsement of Kramer seem more legit, and cinch the big distribution with GC. So the truth is he lied because it made him more money, not because he was exploited.

So I think a lot about what I remember about Charvel when I consider the same kind of stories he has stated about Seymour and Duncan pickups: somebody who worked there, or Seymour himself, would need to say what actually happened, I don't know, but I sense there is a LOT more to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X