whats wrong with my custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats wrong with my custom?

alright, im playing my charvel with the custom in it and im noticing something..

the harmonics aren't very good, i dont get a very good crunch to the tone and it actually sounds...stale?!
    i can get great harmoncs and crunch out of my other charvel with the 59 trembucker in ti no problem but the custom just isn't doing it's job!
    whats worng here???

well anyways, is there anything that you can recommend? im starting to think the JB now.

Re: whats wrong with my custom?

Check your pots/pup selector switch. Sometimes the contact points aren't good and you get less tone. Did you expose the guitar to a strong magnetic force? That might affect a pup's sound as well.
    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
    ESP KH-1
    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
    BC Rich KKV
    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

If you are referring to an on going problem rather than a problem that just one that cropped up, well the custom is a scooped mid pup, and a lot of crunch and the basis of harmonics are in the midrange area ... so maybe if you're playing into something a bit scooped then you need more mids, in that case the JB might not be a bad idea, because it's low end is tight, strong defined mids, and an excellent (but not glaring) top to drive harmonics and help in break up.
      If your guitar is thin in the low end though you might want to look into something that keeps to low end, has good strong mids and pulls the top back a bit. Maybe a screamin' demon ... hard call, just thought I'd throw that out there ... somebody else ...bump.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Nah- I can't believe that a Custom has poor harmonics ar no crunch! At least a properly functioning one, anyways!
        Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
        ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
        ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
        ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
        ESP KH-1
        LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
        BC Rich KKV
        Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
        Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

a weird thign is that my 59 has more crunch to it. and aparenly that's more scooped than the custom
          my amp settings usually are like this:
          bass 5
          treble 5
          mids 8
          gain 5 for the elad channel

let me mess around with it, i'll check tomorrow. i was playing ti a bit earlier and it wasn';t as bad. but i'll try tomorrow..

Comment

That's why people prefer PAF clones over ceramics! Believe it or not, PAF's are tonally more open.

In your case get an alnico 5 magnet from allparts (should be easy) and swap the ceramic(ferrum) magnet in your Custom with that. You'd get a C5, and should have more open harmonics all around the eq range.

B
            Last edited by dr.barlo; 08-05-2004, 02:05 AM.
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

i could probably get the A5 from my 59 and put it in the custom and put the ceramic into the 59!! that'd be cool!

Comment

I would strong recommend against that. A ceramic in a 59 does not produce optimal results. An a5 bar is $5!!!!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

wow!!

today i didn't have that problem!!

maybe my amp was eq was messed up or somthing. it osunds great now!

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                    a weird thign is that my 59 has more crunch to it. and aparenly that's more scooped than the custom
                    my amp settings usually are like this:
                    bass 5
                    treble 5
                    mids 8
                    gain 5 for the elad channel

let me mess around with it, i'll check tomorrow. i was playing ti a bit earlier and it wasn';t as bad. but i'll try tomorrow..
                    Glad you got the problem solved, but please note that telling someone your tone stage settings is next to worthless, as it could be pre distortion or post distortion, or some form of enter stage eq ... that combined with a gain setting that could be anything in reality, and the overall tone of a particular amp will tell people nothing about the problem ...
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                    X