EMG's @ 18v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's @ 18v?

When installing the second battery in series with the first, will the second battery drain the first when the cord is unplugged (ie, the power is cut and the preamps are turned off)?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: EMG's @ 18v?

Nope. They're in series, so once the disconnect is made when you unplug the cord, there's no circuit connection and no current draw from either battery. The 18V on EMG pickups is OK for guitar, not much different than 9V, though. It really shines on bass, however. Makes the bass much punchier.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I had some doubt in the back of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytooguy
        The 18V on EMG pickups is OK for guitar, not much different than 9V, though.
        I'll have to disagree with that.

On 9v they were compressed and metallic sounding. Great metal pickups, but I was having a hard time imagining them being used for anything else. They also sounded VERY compressed.

Now, they're really open and dynamic. They sound much more like a passive pickup. Responce to pick attack is hugely improved, as has clarity under gain.

On 9v they were so compressed, it almost sounded like my passives do though a TS-9. On 18v they sounded much better. Of course, the lack of compression on 18v makes errors glaring, so there's no hiding your mistakes with this mod.

I'd recommend running EMG's on 18v to anyone.

Comment

How do I do this? Is it just adding another battery in series? That simple.....

Comment

Yup.

I bought three of those 9v connector things, soldered them all together (black to red all the way around), then plugged in two batteries and used the third connector to attach it to the EMG harness.

Comment

Just go to Radio Shack, buy a 9 volt connector (they come in packs of 5 or so), cut the negative of the connector on the EMG 9 volt connector, attach the positive of the new connector, and attach the negative of the new 9 volt connector to the remaining negative. Basically, negative of battery one to positive of battery 2.

I did this mod on my LP when I switched the 85 to bridge and 81 to neck. I'm very happy, through a tube amp I don't see the EMG's as being sterile or compressed, they sound like passives, but no noise and clearer.

Comment

Mr. ScreamingDaisy,

Curious: Does EMG endorse the use of 18 volts on EMG-81/85s? I know the 89 used to come in an 18 volt model.

I'm Motorhead! ... that's right
                Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Hi P.

This is the best answer I can give without actually contacting the company;

It doesn't specifially endorse EMG 81/85's, but it doesn't exclude them either.

Is someone GASsing for another set of EMG's?

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                    Hi P.

This is the best answer I can give without actually contacting the company;

It doesn't specifially endorse EMG 81/85's, but it doesn't exclude them either.

Is someone GASsing for another set of EMG's?
                    That pretty much answers that.

You know you have to find a way adding a switch for 9 or 18 volts

I love the Icons here, especially ... me after installing the THD HotPlate.
                    Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead
                      You know you have to find a way adding a switch for 9 or 18 volts
                      I was thinking about that earlier today. If it was a Strat I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's an LP, so there's no easy way to cover up a hole if you don't like it later........

.....and trust me, there ain't no room left in the cavity......I needed a shoehorn to fit both batteries in there as it was.....

Comment

Working...
                      X